Knowledge Garden 3 ?

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
So what do you think of the new KG3 ?

Now its up and running - the amount of crud I have to pass through to find a specific document is much more - and I hate being asked more than once for my KG ID

I personally do not see any difference with the new KG's content - it seems to have the same information but with a different - more "oneworld" layout.

What do others think ?

Newer is not always better!!

Sr. Business Systems Analyst
OFS Fitel, LLC
OW B7333 Xe SP20 Upd 6, NT SP6a, SQL 7.0 SP3, Create!form

The content is all "jazzed" up other then that I think it is the same. I agree with you and also hate having to enter my password more then once, how dumb... who thought of that. Log in just to log in again... Whats the point.

The interface looks better. You are right on the amount/quality of content, same old.

Hopefully this new structure will allow them to do some cleanup updating.

I now get to go through my bookmarks and find out of any of them work!

I was looking for some a several white papers that were there yesterday and I
cannot find today; must be a few bugs yet.

--
Senior Technical Consultant
17611 E. Tennessee Pl.
Aurora, CO 80017
Work 303-337-1906
Cell 303-885-1405
Fax 303-306-1800

The Navigation seems to have been simplified but I do agree that it is just a face-lift. However, we shouldn't have expected anything else. Afterall, content changes take longer.

If you put aside such cosmetic concerns then, on the positive side, the often used areas of SAR, Call, Knowledge Search and Knowledge Browser seem to have been given their own area. Before I had problems trying to save their location as a Favorite. If you tried it then the Favorite would take you to the KG Home Page. Now you can save the Favorite and it will jump you straight to the Search Page from anywhere. This appears to be why you get asked to Login again - these are different Intranet sites.

This is quite gratifying. I personally suggested that it would be a good idea to have some way of being able to jump directly to a Page without having to wade through their Menu Structure. I wanted a one-click solution and, although they haven't made a big deal about it, this is what has been delivered. I guess I cannot have been alone in asking for this.

I did also ask for a facility to create a more personalised KG where I could group together most-used functions. However they stopped short of that!

FWIW

I don't like having to enter my id and passwords more than once either.
This annoyed me immediately.

For me the 'jury is still out' on the rest.

Thanks,
James

P.S. Maybe when they get to KG8 (like ERP8) it will be better.

it would be nice if the search worked "... temporarily unavailable ..."

I did a lot of pounding on the KG search this morning - it worked, but didn't like being 'right-clicked - open in new window". Any time I right clicked - I go tthe Temporarily unavailable, too

db

Re: RE: Knowledge Garden 3 ?

I have no vested interest in promoting the KG but it looks OK to me. Let us not fear the unfamiliar. It may appear a little dumbed-down but it is all there.

I have experienced no problems in unavailability of the Search Engines. They may have been off-line with teething problems or general maintenance. Yes - it does appear in a new Window BUT if you save it as a Favorite and then use your Favorites to jump directly to it, then it opens in the same window! (Opening in a new Window appears to be new Java/HTML coding on KG3. There may be a good reason for this?) Once you have entered the search engine you will be asked for your Sign-on again, but after that it doesn't bother you again for the rest of the day - unless you re-boot. If you use Favorites, as I suggest, I imagine you will only get the Password prompt once. However, no doubt it will prompt you again if you wish to leave the Search Engine and go somewhere else. I agree, this is a pain.

I also have experienced some problems with White Papers. Many of the Screen Prints appear to have gone missing. The links appear to be broken on some docs.. However, they may have been broken on the old KG, who knows?

Re: RE: Knowledge Garden 3 ?

Actually, Mr Brown, the KG is almost impossible to use now in my opinion. It is VERY beta - the links arent all working, and the search is as bad as it was before.

They have spent 12 months putting this up (which, by the way, is pretty much paid for as a service based on customers maintenance agreements).

I tried a couple of searches. Try looking for any reference to the WTS/Citrix Remote Development document written by Alan Jacot - it is hidden away so deep it is practically impossible to find.

I want to be able to search, like before, without having every extraneous SAR and helpdesk call popping up - instead, the options to do this are just so much more difficult to use.

Secondly, where is JDE's main product page ? Click on "Product/OneWorld" - and you get "coming soon" - where is all of the links to Minimum Technical Requirements ? Where are links to the reference program ? Where is half of the stuff that was there just the other week ?

Hopefully, Peoplesoft will change much concerning the inefficiencies of retrieving information from JDE Support that we have seen in the past. In the meantime, I will struggle with this VERY poor demonstration of content management (in my opinion).

The search is driving me crazy...before you was able to just paste or type your search and you would get results not it is constantly bringing back nothing or very old information.....

I guess it is going to take a little time to get use to it. I also had trouble finding MTRs. There is a document that tells you how to find OW MTRs, but itwas incorrect. It said go to Product, OneWorld Online (could not find this on the page), and then MTR. You can find MTR directly under product.

Do you think there is any way to have JDE put back the KG to how it was ?

Its just that there seems to be a LOT less functionality than before - including the fact that employees can't even access the KG externally anymore !

YOU ARE THE MAN, ZOLTAN !

Great to see you online again - how was your Xe upgrade ?

Back