Hardware specs for Windows 2000 Terminal Server

gchichester

I will be assuming the roll of a JDE System Admin in about a month, for an existing JDE system(Enterprise Server, Delpoyment and Terminal Server) for about 40 users. I have attended three JDE training classes & scheduled for two more. I have some questions about the power of the terminal server, It a Dual 1Ghz with 2Gb of ram. Is there a rule of thumb for the number of users verses processing power?
I'm hearing complaints about slowness from the end users, and was wondering if the TS might be under powered.

Gil,

Are your TS users running on your local LAN (and if so, at what network connection speed)? or are they running over a WAN, DSL or dial-up connection? These factors would also affect perceived response time, too.

Users are running over a T1, I think the TS is connected to the Enterprise
Server via 100Mbps

Gil Chichester
904-699-8637 Cell #
904-384-6530 ext 5249

DSauve
<DSauve@wagstaff. To: [email protected]
com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Re: Hardware specs for Windows 2000 Terminal Server
owner-jdelist@jde
list.com

07/14/2003 11:30
AM
Please respond to
jdelist

DSauve replied to your post at the site: .
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=58085

Gil,

Are your TS users running on your local LAN (and if so, at what network
connection speed)? or are they running over a WAN, DSL or dial-up
connection? These factors would also affect perceived response time, too.

You need more RAM. A good rule of thumb is 2GB RAM for each processor. With that configuration, you should be able to hold 40 - 50 users on that box.

However, for failover reasons you might want to have two servers of the same caliber and load balance the users across the two. You'll have much better performance using two servers.

Another thing, don't install Virus Scan software on the TS. Instead, use a different machine to scan the drives across the network. You'll find that performance will be better that way.

I hope this helps!

Dan

Sent to: gchichester
Sent: 07/15/03 05:56 AM
JDE recommands at least 50 Mb RAM per user on WTSE servers, but this is clearly to short. Think about 100 Mb RAM per user, this would be better.
It would be better with two servers with load balancing, but don't forget load balancing in WTSE only examines the number of connexions and not really processor or RAM charge on the servers.
We've had many pbs with undersized WTSE here, especially with many crashes of user sessions, resulting in fantom lines written to JDE files. My WTSE are 866 Mhz bi-processors with 1Gb RAM. Itried to simulate an increase of the server charge by connecting many "sleeping" user sessions, ie opening JDE and one heavy program such as P4210, P4310 or P0911 for each fonctionnal domain. With 13 opened sessions, RAM charge was 80 % without doing anything else. So be carefull with hardware capacities. Not that increasing swap file doesn't solve anything.

You may encounter other pbs with WTSE, concerning printer configuration for users. It's not really fonctionnal.
You may prefer work with Citrix Mainframe, but this is an expensive soft. I was proposed to install a web server instead of WTSE, for the reason it becomes now more stable than WTSE (requesting less hardware capacities on server and lighter for bandwidth).

Hope this would help u.

Bye,

CREY

Back