Document OTI-03-0004 - Why WASSE is not a production solution

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
I just discovered a relatively new document on the KG entitled "Why Websphere 4.0 Single Server Is Not A Production Solution for OneWorld Jas Server" in which JD Edwards states

Only one environment can be used with each install of Websphere 4.0 Single Server since the first time an end user logs into a OneWorld environment on the Jas server, this application for this environment is cached. The next person who signs in that goes to the exact application will be pulling the specs from the OneWorld environment previously logged in. If more than one environment is installed on this Jas server, then specs will have to be the same between environments otherwise or spec corruption could occur.

and

Websphere 4.0 Single Server can not be configured for more than one environment since each environment needs it's own instance (AS_JDEdwards_X). WAS 4.0 Advanced Edition Single Server can only have one instance, then only one environment can be set up on a JAS server with WAS 4.0 AES. This is due to the way that WebSphere caches for each instance. If multiple instances are wanted for multiple environments, then WebSphere 4.0 Advanced Edition should be used. The Advanced Edition allows for creation of multiple instances.

Also, WebSphere 4.0 Advanced Single Server is single threaded. It should not be used in a production environment unless there will be less than 20 concurrent users accessing it at one time. We have noticed a severe performance decrease with the Single Server Edition if more than 20 users are accessing that instance.

I somewhat agree technically with the above - that SSE is not designed to create multiple instances of the Web Application Server - but completely disagree for the requirements FOR multiple instance of the Java Application Server.

All of my customers are running multiple individual servers - but each server is configured with only a single Websphere instance. One instance of Websphere will EASILY support multiple OneWorld environments - since the environment is split by pathcode.

I might be wrong here - but why would JDE post such a deplorable document on the knowledge garden ? Response Line is starting to use this as a defence - referring to it on the simplest of support issues. Customers I am dealing with are actually using the Enterprise Edition of Websphere themselves since they use Websphere for other purposes - but they still only have a single Web Application Server instance running. I have seen other companies run Single Server Edition with NO repurcissions - and (wrongly stated above) Single Server Editions is certainly NOT single threaded.

I would love to hear comments on this from other listeroos - including the configuration you are running the HTML solution.

altquark,

I agree with the CURRENT JDE reasoning, especially the caching. JDE caches the application only and not the application per environment. This means that a use in PROD could get an object from DEV that hand not been promoted just by a developer accessing the object on the JAS server and caching the object before it was accesses in PROD.

This is somewhat of a shortcoming of the JDE JAS Code but is likely why they recommend 1 instance per environment.

Also, what about if I want to have a single JAS Server running multiple environments at different OneWorld Service Pack levels? The only way to do this is to create a new instance.

For performance considerations the number of connections per instance of WAS40 should be 100-150, after that a new instance should be created on the same box, thus I could have 3 WAS40 instance on one box to handle 300 - 450 users and of course each instance could be running a different OneWorld SP.

WAS40_AE(Advanced Edition) allows horizontal and vertical cloning of WAS instances, server grouping and a host of other goodies.

Finally, the admin tools that come with WAS40_AE are superior to the tools that come with WAS40_SS (Single Server).

Colin

ok - fair enough

but what about the fact that most companies have one Websphere server for development/PY and a number of websphere servers seperate for Production ?

Obviously then the DV/PY Websphere server can run one SP seperate from the PD servers.

In this example, the DV/PY server would require Advanced Edition - but the PD servers could all use Single Server Edition.

At such a huge price difference (almost 3 times the price), it makes sense to not purchase the Advanced Edition unless it is really required.

I'd be interested in hearing from users that are running Single Server Edition.

Jon,

We are in the camp that would (currently) run one server with multiple environments. The document should definitely be handled with better explaination to allow the analysts to make the decision what to use. Although, I can believe that JDE probably has had a rough time helping their customers, business partners, and support line understand when to use one or the other. I'm not a WAS tech and didn't not know the difference. Our IBM business partner said SSE was JDE certified. GSS gave no indication SSE was not supported. Guess what we bought?

On another note, did you know that JDE just dropped support of SSE altogether? It's not in any Breaking News or Tech Flash. It's hidden in the SP22 install documentation. Our IBM business partner was real unhappy to find out after he'd been recommending SSE to so many of his JDE customers.

I guess we just need to keep up to date with our WAS studies. We sure can't trust the information we're getting otherwise.

Regards,
Doug

A good reason why I am evaluating alternatives to Websphere.....

After all - what exactly is OneWorld requiring that MUST be running under Websphere ? My bet is that most other J2EE servers could handle OneWorld - and theres a few Open Source ones out there !

Back