pls help

bee

hi,list,
our company have a as/400 830, with 240G harddisk ,2way cpu and 6G ram ,which is our enterprise server. now it become more and more slow.the disk usage is above 80% and the cpu utilization always above 85% !
the upgrade cost too much , now we have a as/400 720,with 2G ram,150G harddisk,one way cpu, how can i use it to help 830 work better?
should i use it as a ube server or use it as a database server?which is better?

BTW , we have only one environment: prod env.

thank u sincerely .

bee

Your easiest option is going to be to take the 2G memory and 150G hard drive space from the 720 and adding it to the 830. On the AS/400 they recommend that the disk usage be down around 70%, so part of your 85% CPU utilization is going to disk organizational activities.

You can split the database, since you don't have enough disk on the 720 to contain the whole thing, and put lessor used tables over on it. But that would make maintenance, like backups probably more difficult. I think a better use for the 720 would be as a UBE server.

Also, have you checked out the Redbooks on AS/400 Performance for OneWorld? There are several tuning devices that need to be checked out.

As a last resort, you could add a few W2K application servers to off load the work. Much cheaper and easier to do.

Back