Server Map

jdedebug

Hi all

Can anybody give me a clear picture on "Server Map" data source?What is the use? Difference between Server & server logic datasources etc?

Thanks & Regards

In a nutshell, it's the Server's "point of view". Therefore, the Server Map will have a set of OCM Mapping all to it's own.

Bhalajee,

Server Map is a very strange and odd piece in the OneWorld architecture. There are basically two tables that need to be different (special) for an enterprise server's needs: Datasource Master (F98611) and OCM (F986101). Copies of these tables in the System datasource are used by client WSs, Java Servers and WTSs. Enterprise Servers use the Server Map copies of these tables. What I call odd is that you need to put the same(!) information twice, in two different places, for OW to work properly.
In a DS definition one has to state the DLL that is used by OW to connect to the database client software. This DLL is different for client WSs and servers. For example it's jdboci81.dll for a windows machine and it's libora81.so for a Unix server to access the same Datasource.
About the OCM table JDE says it needs to be different for the same(!) environment from the WS's point of view as to compared to the server's point of view. In the System OCM table you may map BSFNs and UBEs to the server, in the Server Map OCM table you don't. There used to be mappings to Local Access Databases long time ago, another need for seperate OCM tables. Nobody, to my knowledge, uses these kind of mappings any more (or at least should not use).

In my point of view the Server Map should be revised and removed from the OW architecture. I have run a OW installation with a Windows ES successfully without the server map (DDLs are the same for client an server).

You can interchange the Server and server-Logic logical Datasources as you wish, there is no difference. Why do both exist? If you map UBE, DEFAULT to SERVER, you cannot map BSFN, DEFAULT to SERVER as well, because of the definition of the primary key in the OCM table. As a workaround JDE invented the SERVER-Logic datasource.

My 2,5 centavos, Gerd

Excellent explaination Gerd.

One point though, if you were to eliminate the Server Map and, for arguments sake, added a Unix box to the system you used in your example (The Windows ES) than how could you get the Unix box (second ES server) to "see" OW? You'd need a Server Map for the Unix box because it uses a different DLL.

Mike, I was almost waiting for that question.

Of course there would need to be a little change in the architecture. I could easily imagine a new table with three columns:
FROM_OS, TO_DATABASE, DLL_NAME .
There you could register all platforms where you are coming from, all database types you would want to connect to and simply state the DLL OW should use in that case.
But anyway, it's just an idea along the way that redundant information should not be necessary in the tecnical setup of a system like OW.
Now it's already a total of 3 centavos for this thread, about 1 cent US
Gerd

Gerd,

Just keeping you honest :) I agree with your point about redundancy though. There should be a better way. And, I'm sure there will be in the near future.

Your two cents worth must be in US currency because the exchange rate to your currency would only allow you to post one sentence ;) (just kidding!)

Bhalajee,

Server Map is a very strange and odd piece in the OneWorld architecture.
There are basically two tables that need to be different (special) for an
enterprise server's needs: Datasource Master (F98611) and OCM (F986101).
Copies of these tables in the System datasource are used by client WSs, Java
Servers and WTSs. Enterprise Servers use the Server Map copies of these
tables. What I call odd is that you need to put the same(!) information
twice, in two different places, for OW to work properly.
In a DS definition one has to state the DLL that is used by OW to connect to
the database client software. This DLL is different for client WSs and
servers. For example it's jdboci81.dll for a windows machine and it's
libora81.so for a Unix server to access the same Datasource.
About the OCM table JDE says it needs to be different for the same(!)
environment from the WS's point of view as to compared to the server's point
of view. In the System OCM table you may map BSFNs and UBEs to the server,
in the Server Map OCM table you don't. There used to be mappings to Local
Access Databases long time ago, another need for seperate OCM tables.
Nobody, to my knowledge, uses these kind of mappings any more (or at least
should not use).

In my point of view the Server Map should be revised and removed from the OW
architecture. I have run a OW installation with a Windows ES successfully
without the server map (DDLs are the same for client an server).

You can interchange the Server and server-Logic logical Datasources as you
wish, there is no difference. Why do both exist? If you map UBE, DEFAULT to
SERVER, you cannot map BSFN, DEFAULT to SERVER as well, because of the
definition of the primary key in the OCM table. As a workaround JDE invented
the SERVER-Logic datasource.

My 2,5 centavos, Gerd

B732 - ERP8, Unix, Windows, Oracle, SQL, WTS, JAS

Back