UBE's run on server

KSmithCPA

Reputable Poster
UBE\'s run on server

Question: If a ube is submitted from a fat client to run on the server, where do the specs for that version/object come from? The server or the fat client?

I assume that data selection and PO's come from the fat client, but what about everything else...

Thanks in advance.

RE: UBE\'s run on server

the server

Joshua Peterson
CNC Administrator
Ball Corporation
Office: (303) 460-5211
Cell: (303) 378-0467
Fax: (303) 460-5566

Re: UBE\'s run on server

When submitting a UBE from a fat client only the data selection and processing options are sent to the server. UBE specifications are only sent to the server if you select "Submitt specifications only" from the "Advanced" button when submitting the UBE.

With this being said, if you submit a job via OneWorld scheduler, or a third party sofware that resides on the "Enterprise/Appication Server", the data selection / processing options from the last submitted UBE, of the UBE you are running, will processes on the server. So, if a user runs a UBE and version that you have scheduled, whatever data selection and processing option the user sends to server is the same data selection and processing options your scheduled job will pick up. So, rule of thumb never allow your end users to execute versions that will be scheduled. Always create a seperate schedule version.

PS. Sorry if i dragged on....

Peter Langelotti
CNC Administrator Independent Consultant.

This depends on the version:

Pre-Xe:

Only data selection and sequencing are carried to Enterprise server during normal UBE submission

Selecting "Submit Version Specs Only" causes *all* versions specs to be transferred to enterprise server

Xe/ERP8:

In Xe and ERP8, all specs go to Enterprise server on UBE submission- unless you have specified otherwise in the client jde.ini setting ERSpecOverride=N

ERP9:

Only data selection and sequencing are carried to Enterprise server during normal UBE submission

Selecting "Submit Version Specs Only" causes *all* versions specs to be transferred to enterprise server

To clarify the above:

Xe/ERP 8:
All VERSION specs (rdaspec, rdatext, gbrspec, gbrlink, dstmpl) are sent upon submission. If you do not have version overrides for ER, then nothing is sent for ER (gbr files). The same is true if no rpt interconnect or proc opts are attached to a report, then no dstmpl is sent. The server loads the templates for the report, and then loads the sent changes as overrides to the template.

ERP9:
This apparently will be the same, except no gbrspec and gbrlink are sent. (ER overrides are not sent). Rdaspec, rdatext, and dstmpl are still sent. (data selection, sequencing, layout and formatting, printer options if present in specs, text overrides, and data structures for Proc opt and
report interconnect data structures)

Specs only:
In both versions of ERP & Xe, submit specs only causes ALL VERSION specs (all five mentioned) to be sent. Template changes are still not sent, and must be done as package updates. In Xe/ERP8, the only diff between specs only and a normal submission is that the job doesn't execute after the version specs get to the server. Useful for updating jobs run in scripts or by scheduler.

I've been involved in lengthy discussions about this with some JDE folks to get this info, and it seems that even they acknowledge that this is a much misunderstood area.

You picked one I've recently dug up the info on... (grin) Fun to show off. However, I have no info on pre Xe.

Back