Version is not installed (URGENT)

JDE4PSI

Dear List,

I have a new test environment which I copied from PD. Applied XU7 (successful install) and then built a full package for this new test environment. The problem is I cannot run any UBE on this test environment. Any report that I run I get an error “Version is not installed on client”. JdeDebuglog states that “JITI for UBE Rxxxx failed. Version Specs may not be present on server”.

1. This is the behavior so far for all the reports that I ran
2. I get same results weather I run it locally or on server
3. I checked OCM and they seem to be in order.
4. Re-checked ODBC settings
5. Compared Bin32 and Spec directories with other environments and they are comparable.

I cannot go back and re-copy PD directories again to test environment as I have already applied XU7 on test environment.

I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards,

Ather Iqbal
Windows 2000, SQL 7.0, XU7, SP20.h

Hi,

When you copied the environment from PD, did you change the versions table to reflect new environment.

Check the F983051 table for your new environment. There is a column which specifies environment name. This should reflect your new custom environment.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Thank you for your reply. Nice point. I checked VRENHV (EnvironmentName) in F983051 and it reflects new environment name.

This helped me to notice some thing else. I checked VRMKEY. In PD7333 it is populated with deployment server but in test environment VRMKEY is not populated fully with deployment server name.

When I say fully I mean deployment server name shows up only in rows for Interactive applications (and they are working). Rows for UBEs on the other hand are empty. Is this bad? How can I fix this?

Regards,
Ather

Hi,

You have probably pinpointed the problem. The VRMKEY field tells you which machine has an object checked out. If an object is not checked out, it should have your Deployment Server in there.

I have a feeling you may need to perform another full package build. But, in the first instance, you should backup the original F983051 and then use a sql statement to set VRMKEY = <your deployment server>..

Once you have done this, try running ube again on client and server. If it still doesn't work, you will need to do a full build again.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanjeev

You should also make sure that you have updated the OL table F9861 to have an entry for your new pathcode for all relevant objects (easiest to copy the entries from an existing one and change the pathcode and re-insert).

Unfortunately the above said solution did not work. I was able to populate VRMKEY column with deployment server name, build another full package but still get the same error.

I checked the OL table F9861 and this table shows similar records for objects for all my environments. I also checked JITI setting and it is enabled.

Any other ideas please?

Thanks

Did you create this new environment from scratch? Does it use its own path code, or did you create it to use an existing path code?

Did you update the server's list of known environments in the Machine Identification program?

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes I created this new environment from scratch and it uses its own path code along with its own data sources. Server list is also updated with known environments.

Yesterday I came across JDE document OTM-03-0008 (Version Merge Failure During an Upgrade) which I believe is the problem I am facing. If you recall from my first post, this happened after XU7.

My problem is I do not exactly know how to follow the document. I tried to apply resolution of scenario 2 but I am not so comfortable with the processing options. Now and during my initial install of XU7 when ever I run R98700 it either comes back ‘Not Processed’ or ‘No Action’. Specially with custom UBEs it does not come back with success.

1- I will appreciate assistance in using this document and forcing spec merge on UBEs only.
2- After a scusseful spec merge should I build a full pacage

------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Version Merge Failure During an Upgrade
Abstract: When you are unable to check out or run a custom version the following steps may be necessary

Product OneWorld®, ERP 8.0
Suite Technical
Release All
Document ID OTM-03-0008
Date Created 02/17/2003
Date Reviewed 02/17/2003
Date Revised 02/17/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Merge Failure During an Upgrade
After doing an upgrade the versions may come over and you will see the records existing in the F983051 table but sometimes the actual specs for the versions themselves may not have come across during the upgrade process. As a result, when the user goes into Batch Versions to run a UBE, highlights the version and clicks on select, he may receive an error "Version Not Installed on Client".

Version ZJDE0001 of R98700 is run to do the spec merge. The default processing option value is set to a 1 for stop processing after errors. The report is designed to merge specs for One World® Objects in Alphabetical order. It first does the OL merge, the Version merge followed by Spec merge. Since the R98700 processes objects in order by object type (tables being first), the following scenario could be possible.

There is an error on processing an object like a F550101, the spec merge stops while merging the spec for the object. The output for R98700 will have a “Not Processed” after the Table F550101 for all objects after F550101 under the Spec Merge Column.

Since the VL merge has processed successfully, the F983051 table gets updated with the custom and JDE version records. The actual specs for those versions were never merged since the error caused the spec merge to stop. As a result when the client runs a custom UBE version, the version will not run as there are no specs based on which the would run on. The client will receive an error “Version Not Installed on Client”.

Scenario 1:
Go through the spec merge application P98700, fix the problem with the object failed in the merge (the error could have been due to an incorrect server share path, removal of an object, etc...).

Resolution:
Run R98700 version ZJDE0001 in restart mode with a Processing Option value of 0 for Continue processing after errors. This process will start from where the failure occurred in the previous attempt.

Scenario 2:
Client fixes the problem with errors on the object(s) that failed in spec merge; however, the R98700 is run the second time. When the R98700 version XJDE0001 is run the second time, it runs in normal mode. This resets all the records for the spec merge in F988810 table. Since the F983051 table is already updated with the version names, the versions will not get recreated in the F988810 table, which means that the version spec will not be merged.

Resolution:
Run R98403 version XJDE0504 by choosing the data selection for just the F983051. The source for the versions should be OneWorld Local and this will need to be run from the deployment server. This will refresh the records in the table for the versions. Once this is done you can run the R98700 version XJDE0001 in normal mode with data selection for BC Object Type is equal to UBE. This will bring the version specs across.

Hi Ather,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. That last post (Bilby) has given me another thought. Go into Environment Master application (P0094). Find your custom environment and ensure the pathcode is correct. If the environment has its own pathcode, this should be reflected here.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Yes Sanjeev I re-checked the environment master. It is pointing to the right path code.

What do you think of my last post where I copied JDE document.

Thanks,

JDE4PSI,

I'm not sure that's your problem though. You didn't really do an upgrade,
you applied an update. If possible, you should start over and test the
environment prior to applying XU7. That will tell you if the environment is
setup correctly. Then apply XU7 and see if it still works. If not, then
something went wrong in the application of XU7.

Have you opened a call yet with the response line?

Another thought, are you sure your full package was really successful? Look
at the Buildlog.txt, builderror.txt, and Srvbuild.log for any errors that
may have not shown up on the PDFs.

Dan

Dan Richards
Plexus Corp.
Xe, SP20, XU6, RS6000, Oracle 8.1.7.4, Metaframe XPe

Re: RE: Version is not installed (URGENT)

Yes Dan, this is a very important lesson that I learnt the hard way. I should have tested my test environment before applying the XU7. Like you said now I do not know if this is because of XU7 or because of environment not properly set up. Higher percentage is that my environment setup did not go properly.

Yes package build was successful. I read each of the mentioned files there were no error. In fact I build twice just to be on the safe side.

I have logged in a call with JDEdwards also. I think that will take long time.

Thanks,
Ather

Re: RE: Version is not installed (URGENT)

Ather,

While you're waiting for a reponse from JDE, is it possible you could create another custom environment from scratch (as copy of PD7333)?

It will be worth building the new environment, performing full package build and then testing your versions are okay. Once you're happy you can then start applying the Update again. Yes, its going to take some time but it will probably still be quicker than trying to establish where the old environment has issues.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Back