What is the best way for a full html generation ?

antoine_mpo

Reputable Poster
Hi everybody,

We use OneWorld Xe, update 6, SP20, with Websphere 4 on our JAS server.
For html generation, we use the e-generator v4.

Most of the time, when we try to make an automatic full generation, it doesn't work. (You launch it before leaving in the evening, and when you come back morning after, the generation failed ... java exceptions, problem of memory ..).

So, anyway, we generated step by step.

My questions are :
1) According to your knowledge or experience, what is the best process flow to generate all objects in html ?
2) Are there any tips to improve this process and reduce the time to do it ?

As an example, here is how we do :
-Tables
- Business View
- NER
- Data Dictonnary
- Reports
- Programs

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Antoine.

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

----__JNP_000_1de2.0d8b.546f
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Antoine,

JD Edwards recommended order for generation of all serialized objects if
not performing a generate all...

1. Business Views
2. Tables
3. NER's
4. Data Dictionary
5. Applications
6. Reports

- Put both the generation and DB machine on the same high speed switch,
if possible
- Alter the ODBC's for the DB connections that will be used during
generation on the generation machine to allow large data sizes
- Turn off any virus protection software on the generation machine
- Make sure that full DD and GLBTL specs are built and copied to the
generation machine prior to building
- Clear the serialized object tables prior to generation

Those are just off the top of my noggin.

Regards,

Jim
----__JNP_000_1de2.0d8b.546f
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bottomMargin=3D0 leftMargin=3D3 topMargin=3D0 rightMargin=3D3>
if=20
not performing a generate all...</DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt1. Business Views</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt2. Tables</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt3. NER's</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt4. Data Dictionary</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt5. Applications</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt6. Reports</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt- Put both the generation and DB machine =
on the=20
same high speed switch, if possible</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt-Alter the ODBC's for the DB =
connections=20
that will be used during generation on the generation machine to allow =
large=20
data sizes</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt-Turn off any virus protection =
software on=20
the generation machine</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt-Make sure that full DD and GLBTL =
specs are=20
built and copied to the generation machine prior to building</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt- Clear the serialized object tables prior=
to=20
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0ptThose are just off the top of my noggin.</=
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0ptRegards,</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0ptJim</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

----__JNP_000_1de2.0d8b.546f--

One add'l thing. If you are running on an AS/400 you'll also need to delete the serialized object records in the F98BLOB file that is used for over-run of the 32k limitation. But, don't just clear the F98BLOB records or you will wipe out the over-run records for other than serialized objects.

How do you...

- Alter the ODBC's for the DB connections that will be used during generation on the generation machine to allow large data sizes

Steve

Hello Antoine

Our full JAS generation takes 1.75 - 2 hours end to end. We have set up a seperate set of serialized objects files for each environment, this allows us to gen during the day and then copy over the generated objects at a set time, requiring the Web service to be down for 10 minutes. We use a generation userid JASGEN which has OCMs for these seperate libraries.

I have attached our JAS generation checklist which steps through what we do for each generation. We have also set up several .bat files to reduce the tedium of some of the generation steps. The bat files also call some simple AS/400 scripts.

Our generation machine is an IXA attached X350 twin Xeon (500Mhz) machine with 2 GB of memory. We use the 1GB VLAN connection to the I/Series, this had a major reduction on gen time compared to the previous 100MB switch connection. I believe, but cannot confirm, that the major factors are CPU and Network speed for the generation time.

Regards

Attachments

• 56791-Generate step by step.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 83
Hi Jim

JDE support informed me that the best way to do a full regen was to clear out the serialized object table like you said. Is it just me or does anyone else see this as a dumb idea? Hello!! - when you clear out the table you render the web client useless until after the generation is completed! And let's hope that the generation doesn't fail, like that's never happened, right Antoine?

When I pressed them on this issue, they made some vague statements about using the JDBC URL section of the Jas.ini to generate table in a different location. I then asked them to see the whitepaper detailing this proceedure and spelling out the best practice. I'm still waiting two months later.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair CNC / Security / XPI / Web Guy

Hi Greg

I have the whitepaper in hardcopy only. The link on the KG does not point to the document anymore. If you need it I can Fax it.

Regards

Greg...You would be correct, in that clearing the tables would render the web client useless in that environment...unless you have done what I suggest to any of my clients to perform.

1. Create a generation environment that simply has the ODBC's, datasources, and OCM's needed to generate the tables.
2. On the generation machine, have a full fat client for each path code you might need to generate for.
3. Rename the appropriate folder to the generation pathcode (ex. - rename PD7333 to GEN7333)
4. Log into JGEN7333 and generate away. When the generation is complete, perfom a table copy on the DB server. Then rename the subdirectory back to whatever it was.

Even though I suggest bouncing the web server after the copy, it's not something that has to be done. And since most folks have caching turned on for the JAS servers, the momentary lack of the tables during the copy process usually doesn't affect the users at all.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Gregg,

I know it isn't a resolution, but what we do is have a user JDENXTPKG/JPNNXTPKG that have their OCM pointing to a holding area (next package). We then clear the serialized objects in the next package area, and do a gen.

Hope this helps a little.

Hello Gerard,

Thanks a lot for your answer. It's really interesting and we found your idea of separate files was great. We are going to study it.

What do you do in your .bat files ?
Do you launch UBE (like a customised R98403) to copy the files F989998 and F989999 or do you use database processes ?

Hi Gerard

Thank you for your offer, but no thanks. I'll be in Denver in a month to attend another Web class. I'll hound the instructer and presenters face to face.

Hello Antoine,

The bat files are extremely simple, I have zipped up the directory and attached it. You can ignore the SP22 update part. We clear and copy the files using AS/400 SQL and CLRPFM, again the AS/400 scripts are extremely simple.

The idea of the .bat and AS/400 scripts is so an Administrator can perform the complete GEN and WEB update from the NT generator server, without having to know or logon to the AS/400.

On another note, I have just had a terrible day when the JDE WEB died completely mid morning, getting JAS JDBC errors. I restored back everything to the weekend and still no good. Turned out to be a corrupt sql package. The problem was resolved by deleting all the SQL packages (except Q... of course).

Regards

Attachments

• 56940-temp.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 73
Thanks again Gerard,
I didn't have time to study the question farther because one of our plant is going to run "live" in 1 week, so i'm quite busy right now ... :)

Rgds.

Back