Planning for an ERP 8.0 upgrade

rhunt

Well Known Member
I am potentially asking for a lot of information, so I want to say thanks in advance to anyone that can reply. So...

My company has recently decided that upgrading from Xe to ERP 8.0 is to be a primary focus for the near future. I am the sole CNC administrator for my company and I am without hands on experience performing an upgrade.

Questions:
1) Is there comprehensive documentation available that can allow me to read about and execute an upgrade? Or, am I headed to disaster not using a business partner/consultant?

2) We have one AS/400 Enterprise server and no separate development server. Can I install a separate ERP8.0 environment on our production AS/400 (actually...I intended to upgrade the DV7333 environment) without compromising our other environments?

3) Does anyone out there have a custom install document that outlines the major steps I need to perform and in what order? (Essentially I am looking for a summary of the 1000+ pages of install/documentation that I have run across so far. Because I am not familiar with the process, I am trying to get past information overload.)

4) Any opinions, criticisms, or helpful tidbits you would like to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan Hunt

Hi Ryan,

Having done this upgrade recently:

1) I would advise you to use external resource to perform the upgrade for you. When I performed the upgrade, the documentation was not 100% (for AS400 installation at least). I have been through installations/upgrades in the past which helped to overcome some of issues we had during ERP 8 upgrade.

2/ Using one Deployment Server isn't an issue. You can utilise 'snapshot' to create an 'instance' of Xe and an 'instance' of ERP 8. There is a document on the Knowledge Garden that describes this.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanjeev

CNC Technical Architect

I would agree that you would be better off using an outside resource. Make sure it is an experienced resource on your platform. If money is a serious enough constraint, I'm sure you will be able to stumble throught the upgrade. It just isn't worth it.

Back