Citrix Servers Locking up

CNCOneWorld

We have a farm of 4 citrix boxes on metaframe 1.8. It will lock up and not allow anyone to log on saying "OurDomainName.com is unavailable". When I log on to the troubled server it gets hung up on the logon box grayed out with my name and password and just sits there. From that point I must hard bounce the machine. When the server comes back up I go into the event viewer but there is nothing that sticks out. This happens intermittently to every server so there should be no hardware issue. Thanks for any help out there.

Citrix 1.8 SP3
MS 2000 SP3
McAfee 7.0

It sounds like you have DNS issues communicating between your farm and your domain controller.

Never seen this before, and the error is an NT error - not a OneWorld error - so I'm not sure where you can go here.

Have you tried reinstalling NT/2000 and Citrix from scratch ? Are the 4 citrix machines "copies" of the OS from an original image ?

are your citrix boxes on SP3? we are having a similar problem on our system. For the record, you don't need to bounce the box, just pull the network cable out for about 20 secs, the server will then free itself.
citrix were due to release a hotfix for this but it is now only available for FR3 for XPa.

Regards

Darren Evans
CNC Administrator
Win2k SP3, Oneworld Xe U5, SP21_F1, SQL Server 2k SP3, Citrix Xpa FR2

We had what sounds like the same issue, but was able to see some errors in the event viewer. Our problem was that another computer was trying to act as the Primary Domain Controller, it would hang up the same way though.

I see that issue regularly (once or twice a month) on our 14 server TS farm. Our fix, we find the misbehaving server, take it our of the load balance pool, then when there are no longer any users on it, reboot the server. Another tip, we restricted the RDP protocal (the native Win2K TS protocal) to admins only. I have an icon on my desktop that allows me to quickly log on to a specific terminal server. When the problem crops up, I start at the top of the list logging in to each server until I find the server that is acting up.

The root cause of the problem is still stumping us, not through lack of research either. At this point it's just one of those things that we live with and have a procedure for rectifying.

Good Luck!

One thing worth checking (maybe you did already) is to make sure you have the full dns name setup in windows. If it is windows 2000, see the attachment.

Attachments

• 56175-fulldnsname.jpg
    56175-fulldnsname.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 106
I am looking into the DNS. As for the boxes they are original installs.

Re: RE: Citrix Servers Locking up

Yes we are on SP3. However by pulling the network cable we bump everyone of off there anyways. It does work though.

please let me know how you get on with the DNS entries update.

Regards

Darren Evans
CNC Administrator
Win2k SP3, Oneworld Xe U5, SP21_F1, SQL Server 2k SP3, Citrix Xpa FR2

We have just uninstalled our antivirus software and reinstalled it using the add remove function. They have not had any problems for one full week. We think when it was upgraded it did not remove and add properly. I will repost in a week or two to let you know if this has completely worked. Thanks for all your replies.

I think the problem was that we were using a command script that the user initially called in which the script would map drives and then call oexplorer.exe. We moved everyone to call the oexplorer.exe and map drives through citrix. We have not a server lock up in 5 months.

Back