TAG file concept

jaisejames

Well Known Member
Gents:

Has any one used Tag file concept , I would appreacite if some one can throw some light on this subject. and where can i get some instruction on this subject

FW: TAG file concept

any knod for the ladies that subscribe to the list??? ;)

anyways, we have for some time and has worked well for our needs and since a "55" pretty much untouched at upgrades, etc.

recommend MUCH overhead for status flags/extra fields, etc. since all your future requirements
will be placed here for such things since easier to maintain for change control.

think our's lack that forethought and has been troublesome since deployment.

fyi.

jaise,
not really much to explain I don't think. for example, if you want to create a tag file for the item master you create a new table with the same keys as the item master and then store your own info in the new table. in this way you don't modify the std jde table but still have a logical link for your own fields.
dave

A tag table being "we need to store more stuff in F4211, but aren't going to change F4211,
so we create F554211 and key it by KCOO, DCTO, DOCO, LNID, so they match"?

I do this all the time.

If it's some other tag table, I'm not sure what you mean.

Hi Guys thanks for yur answer.... here is my requirement

We want to add few additional columns to few exsiting jde table. But upgrade process will replace all the changes made to tables and JDE informed me that there is no way to avoid this. They suggested to use tag atables.. Now I have no clue as to how to go about this..

My questions how doe sit works... If I create a new tables.. Do I need to goto each application and make refernce to new tables etc... Pls advice

Yes, you would go into the appropriate applications or reports and modify to get the record from your tag file.
dave

Yes, you do need to go into each appl and add code.
There is nothing AUTOMAGIC about Tag Tables.

Use the same key as the table you are tagging to, or START w/that key.
Often I have line numbers as there may be multiple F554211 rows per F4211 row.

You need to fetch from your tag at GRIF to populate the GCs.
You need to insert to your tag when the primary table is updated.

IF you are talking about F4210, F4211, F4310, F4311 be aware that these tables are updated
ASYNCH in their "big" appls (P4210, P4310).
This can cause a timing issue between the vanilla rows, and your tag rows.

There would be no actual link. I just meant that the primary key fields would be the same in both tables.

A tag file is a file that 'tags along' with another file by having the same key structure. A tag file is used to contain information that you couldn't fit in the original file. So when a record is created in the primary file you save additional information in the tag file with the same key field values as the record added in the primary file.

This concept is used to extend functionality without harming the integrity of the file structure of a packaged application.

Patrick Conlon
Allegheny County
XE Update 4, SP 20
Citrix, JAS

Back