Version, never checked in, can't be run or checked in

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
Version, never checked in, can\'t be run or checked in

We have a user who created a group of versions several weeks ago, but never checked them in to Central Objects. Now she wants to run these versions from the same machine where she created them using the same user she modified them with, but they don't run. She gets the errors:

"Error: Version is not installed on client"
"Error: Version is not available on client"

We can't check them in or copy them either.

Several packages have been distributed to her machine since she created these versions, including the original Universal Batch Engine (UBE) report that these versions were for.

The records for these versions were present in the F983051, but I don't fully understand the process in which Versions pass from being Distributed Objects to being Central Objects. I don't know what tables store all of the specifications for Versions.

We ended up erasing the versions and recreating them, and I have instructed the user to check her versions in when she has completed them.

My questions:
1) How should I try to recover the version if this happens?
2) In which tables are versions stored in the database?
3) Where are versions stored locally?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Version, never checked in, can\'t be run or checked in

I hope I can shed some light here.

1. How should you try to recover? Exactly like you did, erase the versions and recreate them. Because you deployed a package containing the UBE that the versions were based on, those versions were overwritten. In this case, there is a record in the F983051 table for the versions that were created, however, there are no specs in Central Objects, as the versions were never checked in.

2. There will be a record for the version in the F983051 table (there is one per pathcode), this is also where processing options are stored. The specifications are held in the Central Objects table..

3. Versions are stored in the spec files locally. X:\B7\<pathcode>\Spec.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Matthew,
A couple of questions more...
> 2. There will be a record for the version in the F983051 table (there is one
> per pathcode), this is also where processing options are stored. The
> specifications are held in the Central Objects table..
Are all the specifications of the Version stored in the F983051 table, or are they distributed over several tables, the way specs for an application would be?

> 3. Versions are stored in the spec files locally. X:\B7\<pathcode>\Spec.
Which Table Access Management (TAM) file sets contain the specifications for the Versions?

Thanks again. (BTW, the "Jedi Master" thing is a joke I got from a posting by Larry_Jones. As a CNC, I am but an egg.)

Tim,
batch versions have a header record in F983051 as well as specs records in F98760, F98761 and may be other tables (depending on how much development has been done to the version).
When you create a new version on a fat client it will already create the header information in F983051 and the specs in the local rdaspec and rdatext files (and maybe others). You need to check in the version to upload the specs to the Central Objects tables.
This is very much like creating a new object and not checking it in. If you lose the local specs (by installing a new package) there will still be an OL record for that object, but the object actually does not exist anywhere.

Just to be complete: interactive versions do *not* have specs, just the header. That's why you do not need to check-in IVs.

There is no way to recover the versions other then recreating them.

Hope this helped, Gerd

Thanks Gerd,
That was perfect-- it was more of a curiousity than anything, I just like knowing where everything is going. Otherwise, it just seems like OneWorld is a whirling chaos (and we know that *that* isn't true ;).
-Tim

Back