Citrix: Duplicate Oexplore / User Sessions

Jeremy56

We are having issues with duplicate Citrix sessions (Same citrix session ID, process ID, client name) on the same server for our OneWorld published application. Multiple instances of oexplore are also being launched for the same user and Citrix session.

The Citrix IMA service continues to tell the Citrix data collector to send new users to the hung server. But this eventually causes the entire farm to crash because the NETLOGON service fails to authenticate new users to the domain controller because the service is somehow overloaded. .

We are on OneWorld XE SP20_S1 and have Citrix Metaframe XP SP1 (no FR1 or FR2) on W2K SP3 terminal servers. We do not have any other applications running on these servers. Our performance monitoring software does not indicate a rise in memory or processor utilization before or when the farm crashes. We are on 1.4ghz dual processor / 4GB RAM Compaqs (15 users per box). We are using Home directories and no roaming profiles. These servers have Internet Explorer 6 SP1. The servers are set to reset disconnected sessions after one minute.

Because the exact same Citrix session is somehow spawning new oexplore processes, the Application Instance Limit setting (available in FR2) does not apply to this error (application instance limits limit the user sessions to the published application, not the exe process itself).

We have seen this error manifest itself in two ways:
1. JDOE will have 9 Citrix Sessions on the same server, same Citrix Session ID, and 9 oexplore.exe processes running.

2. JDOE will have no sessions in the CMC, but under taskmgr, there are 3 oexplore sessions.

The only way to recover the farm is to remove the hung server from the published application. You cannot sign into the hung server remotely, but only locally on the console and view the taskmgr. After rebooting the hung server, we can add it back to the published application and it works fine. This has occurred on nearly every server in the farm over the last month. We cannot duplicate this issue at will and it is not dependent on user load (i.e. occurs first thing in the morning, during lunch, and while going through the shipping process).

Any clues / suggestions?

Jeremy Tiss
XE SP20_S1 Update 4
Citrix XPA SP1
AS/400 DB2 Enterprise Server
NT UBE/Logic Servers

duplicate sessions multiple sessions duplicate Citrix session oexplore oexplore.exe Citrix IMA service multiple oexplore.exe process

Attachments

• 55179-JDE Citrix lockout issue report for 5.8.zip
    229.8 KB · Views: 80
we are experiencing exactly the same problem here. although the orpahned Oexplore.exe processes are only occurring for non win2k machines. we rebuilt one of our citrix boxes with win2k SP2 and have no problems with this issue anymore (but the reliability and stability issues are recurring)
citrix were working on a hotfix (IE102W066) in the hope of eradicating this issue, but as yet are still not deeming it safe for public use.
This is a hot topic on the citrix forum at the moment, with a number of workarounds. including pulling the network cable out of the offending server.
we are currently using this cmd run from a command prompt on another citrix box:

TSKILL [process id no] /Server:[hung servername] /id:[session ID no]

this is a way of freeing up the server without having to reboot. although its not a long term workaround.

C'mon Citrix!!

Darren Evans
CNC Administrator

OW Xe U5 SP21_F1
Win2k SP3
SQL Server 2k SP3
Citrix XP1.0 FR2

DISCLAIMER:
The information contained in this email is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Please note that neither Petroplus UK nor the sender accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).

Regards

Darren Evans
CNC Administrator
Win2k Oneworld Xe U5, SP19.1, SQL Server 2k SP2, Citrix Xpa

Jeremy,

I've done several JDE installs on Citrix XP lately for different clients and
have found that if you install Citrix XP SP2 with FR2 alot of your issues
will go away. Just don't activate FR2 unless you are at JDE SP21.

For Win2K SP3 you'll need Citrix Hot Fix. Check the Citrix Web Site for the
fix.

Colin

Colin Dawes, Sr. Technical Consultant
Syntax.net
B733.1 to ERP 8.0
Oracle 8i/9i/SQL Server 2K, DB2

Colin
We are on XE SP21_F1. We have Citrix XP FR2. The Hotfix from Citrix (IE102W066) is still unavailable for Win2k SP3 which leaves us in limbo. Upon contacting citrix they are still deeming it unsafe for public use!

Darren Evans
CNC Administrator

Regards

Darren Evans
CNC Administrator
Win2k Oneworld Xe U5, SP19.1, SQL Server 2k SP2, Citrix Xpa

We have been seen the same issue occassionally on our new terminal server
farm that is running W2K with Citrix XP FR2. It occurred on Wednesday of
this week and we contacted Citrix. They referred us to document id
CTX465047. Then after contacting JDE support they confirmed that this was
an issue and was resolved by loading the newest one-off for SP20 or SP21.
There is no private fix as the Citrix document mentions. We loaded SP21
with J1 one-off yesterday. We will keep you informed of how things go.

Dave Rammer
Sheboygan County IS Dept

XE u/2 w/SP21 and J1 oneoff / Ent: HP9000 11i / Oracle 8.1.7.3 / App: W2K
New metaframe: W2K w/Citrix XP FR2 Old metaframe (still some
users): NT4 w/Citrix 1.8

Forgot to mention that the tech flash JDE referred us to was GSSTF-03-0522.

Dave Rammer
Sheboygan County IS Dept

When we contacted Citrix they said they had worked with JDE and Microsoft
regarding this issue and it came down to a JDE problem. Citrix mentioned
nothing about a hotfix which we did inquire about from your email several
days ago.

Dave Rammer
Sheboygan County IS Dept

Re: RE: Citrix: Duplicate Oexplore / User Sessions

I am on Citrix XP FR2 and XE SP20 and I have not experienced this issue (knock on wood). Should I consider myself lucky? Does JDE advise not running SP20 on FR2? Also I saw in one post about applying the newest one-off for SP20, is that difficult to do, is it like applying a new service pack?

Back