Update 6/7 or ERP8.0

badda_bing

Well Known Member
Hello all,

We are currently running XE Update4 with SP21. We were evaluating moving to either Update 6 or 7. During this process the question was raised that if we are going to have to merge all mods why not just move to ERP8.0. Would appreciate any thoughts on either path.

TIA

Paul

XE XU4 SP21 SQL2000 Metaframe XP

Hi Paul,

In both cases you will have to do a CRP. Now if you go with ERP 8.0, you might have to buy more hardware. (Deployment server needs a min of 50 gigs free and 50 gigs free on the environments server).

In both cases you will have to retrofit.

The decision should be is there any new functionality in ERP 8.0 that you need?

It is not an easy choice. You will have to upgrade either to ERP8.0 or ERP 9.0.

Just remember to tell us what you decided?

Good Question

However, an update is certainly easier to implement than an upgrade. The update could conceivably be placed into Pristine, then OMW can be used to selectively move objects from JD7333 to DV7333 - and once retrofitted, can be moved forward like any other project. I have a whitepaper that discusses this.

Don't forget to update the planner and move to SP21 before XU7 !

ERP 8.0 on the other hand would be a full upgrade, and would include a significantly different number of steps than an XE Update.

As for ERP 9.0 - well, since there are some significant changes in which the data model has changed, the OCM has changed, datasource definitions have changed - I wouldn't want to upgrade to ERP 9.0 for at least a year after release if I were a production user....

Jon,
What is the reasoning for SP21 for XUP7 ? I don't see anything on the KG that indicates this service pack level is required.
I did find that if you were SP18 or lower, then you were required to install various one-offs but did not find any mention of SP21.
Regards,
Dave

soon to be going to XUP7

We are currently in the process of putting down Update 7. We are testing in DV and we are on Service Pack 19.1_G1. According to what I found during the research process was that JDE recommends that you be on Service Pack 17 or higher. They (JDE) "required" Service Pack 17 or higher if you are using any of the following: P42230, P42235, P42240, P34301, Customer & Supplier Self Serve, Special modes of Sales Order Entry on the Web, Employee Self Service, DB2 UDB or Multiple Copy functionality for PCL Printers.

Our test is going really good.

Joy

Back