adding unix app server to NT/SQL enterprise server

jaisejames

Well Known Member
Gentlemen:

Has any one attempted to Add a Unix box as an Batch server in a NT -SQL environment. I am plannign to to do this.. Any help wil behighly appreciated.

Hi Jaise

Any relation to the Jesse james on Discovery ? The reason I was asking is because he might be someone to actually make this work - being the presenter of "Monster Garage" and having the ability to convert pretty much anything to something else !

No, I don't think its possible to get a unix machine to work as an application server in a SQL Server environment - since there is no native ODBC connectivity between Unix and SQL.

However, if you are thinking about using JDBNet as your connectivity - then I would be extremely interested to hear how it goes. JDBNet would indeed work as an idea - but unfortunately JDBnet has not been developed further by JDE for many years, and there were still some serious issues with the JDBNet driver to lead me to believe that it would have issues.

In effect you would have a datasource definition on the Unix Server Map using JDBNet.sl (or whatever the recommended library is for your platform) - and pointing to the Intel Enterprise Server. On the enterprise server you also require the OneWorld services set up and configured, and a number of JDBNet kernels created. You will need a bunch !

Good luck with this. I hope you haven't sold a company on this idea - but if its for just a test to see what happens - then I would certainly want to hear how it goes !

Hi Jon,

Jesse James the American Outlaw.... quick in drawing the gun..... I get that a lot......

Great to hear from you on this subject. This is entirely a test , I want to see how much of mix and matchup works in JDE. JDE does not have a clue on this how to make this work. They have recomended me to use sqlODBC which we use for JAS server . It seems it might work. But since I wasn't very sure I have not tried it yet. But I certainly plan to give it a try in my test system.
I will posting the result here. I am busy as of now so once I get some time( next few weeks ) I will be attempting this.

Thanks
Jaise

Well - since this is a test :)

I think you should try using sqlODBC - I'll be extremely interested in discovering how well it works - though I haven't much of a clue how you're going to configure the middleware - since JDBODBC.DLL isn't compiled for the unix platform !

The method which would certainly work would be using JDBNet. This middleware passes the SQL Statements between the OneWorld servers prior to reaching the database layer - ie at the JDB level (the layer between the application and the JDE Database Middleware). These messages are passed using JDENet - and require OneWorld services running on the Database Server as well.

However, as you can imagine, this is a tricky setup. First of all, you'll find that there is plainly too much overhead with "double SQL" requests - for every SQL statement created by the code, 2 SQL Statements traverse the "network". I am pretty positive, however, that you'll discover that JDENet will cache relatively well - and it will certainly be interesting to see how everything works.

Secondly, ensure that all business functions are also mapped to the SQL Server box - you should test both without the business functions mapped, as well as with the functions mapped - but I believe I remember having to map business functions when last I tried this.

You'll learn a lot about how JDB operates with this exercise. Heres another test if you find you have time - try running the JAS server under Websphere 5 for Linux !

Back