Info on Upgrading from world

JGUY

I was wondering a few things. First of all, our company needs to upgrade our system from World. I am just in the beginning stages of seeing what i should do. I am aware that ERP 9 is going to end Coexistence for JDE. My question to you is should i upgrade to OneWorld, OneWorld Xe, ERP 8, or ERP 9. WE have been planning this upgrade for a few years now but have been putting it off, until we really had to upgrade. Is there anyone in the same boat as we are, and if so your advice would be great.

Thank you
J Guy
Business Systems Manager

Hello !

Actually, I believe that ERP8.0 actually ended the OneWorld coexistence "officially" - the only coexistent version left is OneWorld Xe (B7333).

It seems that recently more and more world customers are migrating to OneWorld - and due to the stability of the OneWorld solution these days, that it is a lot more easier to implement than they feared.

However, my word of caution is to beware ! OneWorld is NOT World - there are functional differences that might not be apparent upon an initial glance. A couple of customers I have been dealing with recently have discovered late into the implementation some of the differences, and this has forced them to reconsider some of the business processes.

If you are a custom World customer, JD Edwards do help with the FASTR and Dreamwriter conversion tools (which I have seen working recently, and am impressed with how the utility works). However, if you have developed custom RPG screens, then you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast you can retrofit these applications under OneWorld. I recently rewrote a custom application that took weeks under World to create in only a couple of hours - and actually provided more functionality in the end than the base RPG application.

ERP 9 is supposed to be coming out in August (last I heard) - this version has been "coming out" for about 3 years now - and I believe that the release is finally imminent. However, this version will be extremely different from the OneWorld application - the data model has changed dramatically, and JDE is heading toward a far more web-based direction in line with their competition. I would warn customers that are looking to implement early that they might be on a similar path to those that implemented OneWorld early. I am sure that JDE will offer some great deals out there - but it is a huge step to go to from World.

Lastly my recommendation is use a professional as early in your process as possible - there is a lot of knowledge transfer that you need to happen, and it might be adviseable to use someone that has done a similar conversion before.

Back