capabilities have been created. To keep the number of custom menus
manageable I am trying to setup some row security on menu selections. Using
document "How to Simulate Menu Security Using Row Security" I set row
security for F0082 on a menu which was a submenu on another. Logged on as a
test user and this submenu selection shows and when the user selects it they
are taken to their default menu as setup in User Profile, which I do not
prefer. Next, I was going to place row security on the F00821 data item
MenutoExecute (alias MTOE) and found that this data dictionary item
currently was not set to allow "Row Security".

Is anyone using "Row Security" on this data item, and if so are there any
performance issues?? If there are any other suggestions on ways to setup
this type of security I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dave Rammer
Sheboygan County IS Dept

XE U/2 SP16 / Oracle 8.1.7.3 / Ent: HP-UX 11i / App: W2K
NT Terminal Servers: Citrix MetaFrame 1.8

Migrating to W2K Terminal Servers: Citrix MetaFrame XP w/FR2

Dave,
You may want to switch to using the Solution Explorer. You can set up one main menu and then create roles. Each role can have all of just some of the menu options. This is done with the Fine Cut mode while you are in the role.
From there you just click on or off for each menu option (parent or child).
I found the learning curve a little difficult but am very happy with it now.
Regards,
Dave

Dave

This is a very useful bit of info. It's something I have struggled with for a while. Could you clarify something for me though. When I use fine cut to limit menu access, it applies it for all roles, not just the role I am working in. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Marty

Marty,

You will need to save any definitions that you make via Fine Cut to a Solution Explorer Role. Right Click and select "Save Role"...you will then have to Add a new Solution Explorer Role, and then save the Fine Cut definitions to that new Role. You then attach Solution Explorer Roles to JDE User IDs in the "Work With Role Relationships" application (P95921)

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks for this Eric. I can see what you are saying now. I was trying to perform fine cut on the OneWorld Menus not the End User Tasks. It's a bit of a change in thinking when you are used to working with Oexplore menus.

In saying that, do you know of any documentation on how to implement Solution Explorer and roles correctly. I am a bit frustrated thying to find a definative document for this on Xe. The Knowledge Garden doesn't seem to have a single document explaining it. (If it does, I can't find it). Lots of documents have a little in them but nothing that pulls it all together.

Thanks again

Marty

Marty,

Have you tried any of the following??

ott-02-0014 Working with Task Views
ott-02-0017 Working with Secured Task and Views
ott-02-0016 Security within Solution Explorer

I've found pretty much everything I needed in one or more of these three.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks for this Jim. OTT-02-0017 gave me everything I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Marty

You can also try ott-01-0047. That is an overview document that links to a boatload of other documents. It took me four phone calls to JDE looking for a "document to pull it all together" to get that document reference. I also found the chapter "Task View Set Up" in book 2 of 3 from the System Admin class to be helpful. I pulled together a mini manual (sorry, not electronic) using excerpts from that chapter and the aforementioned document.

When I took the System Admin class 2 years ago, this topic was not mentioned. Ditto for my security class that I took last fall. I am in the process of getting Solution Explorer ready for my company. I agree with your frustration in finding the documentation on this topic in the Knowledge Garden.

Gregg Larkin
North American CNC and Security Guy for Praxair

Back