How to run out of space in Oracle

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
(OneWorld Xe, Oracle 8.1.7, W2K opn DS/ES)

Our client was getting a lot of errors trying to insert new data. As it turns out, the tablespace for PRODDTAT had a single datafile with its MAXBYTES set to 1GB. The file was exactly 1GB, so no extension was possible.

I detected this with this Oracle Query which tells me all tablespaces which have a data file at over 50% its capacity:
select
substr(FILE_NAME, 1, 45),
substr(TABLESPACE_NAME, 1, 20),
BYTES,
MAXBYTES
from dba_data_files
where tablespace_name in
(
select tablespace_name
from dba_data_files
where bytes > (maxbytes * .5)
)
order by tablespace_name

(Note that the sub-query is necessary so we see all of the datafiles for a given tablespace-- just because a tablespace has one full datafile doesn't mean that it can't extend itself).

Then I fixed the PRODDTAT tablespace with this command:
alter tablespace PRODDTAT
add datafile 'e:\orajde\prodx.dbf' size 500M
autoextend on next 200K
maxsize unlimited

My big question here is, why is the production data tablespace set to max out at 1GB with the original installation? Did I miss a step in the installation process that is specified in the installation manual? 1GB seems like very little-- does Oracle perform better if this is set to a fixed limit?

My other question is, does anyone know if this is an issue in SQL Server as well? I've got a SQL Server client who I want to try this out on to make sure they don't have trouble down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Your customers' Oracle DBA is supposed to set the MaxExtents and MaxBytes for each of your tablespaces. They should have experience of Oracle, after all isn't your customer running their company on this ? Didn't they choose Oracle because they already had the skillset internally ?

Always check these parameters are set up correctly - it can be pretty nasty if only half a transaction can get through because you hit a wall.

You shouldn't run against this sort of tuning issue in MS SQL Server - especially with SQL 2000, since SQL will attempt to use as much disk space as it can....

Thanks Jon, I was a bit worried about that on my SQL Server installation.

As far as the client, well, unfortunately the market here is like that-- our clients generally want a complete (read: buy-it-and-forget-it) solution, and generally the "DBA" is some kid who knows how to write SELECT statements and little else. Frustrating-- but it makes for plenty of work, too.

Back