iSeries Model 270 At V5R2 Is Dead Toad Slow Running JDE One World.......

mshaw

Folks,

I upgraded our iSeries 270 development box from OS/400 V5R1 to OS/400 V5R2 on Thursday. The install went well and all seems good so far other than the fact that JDE’s One World package is running very, very slow…..The latest PTF CUME and JDE’s required PTF’s were applied to the 270 as part of the V5R2 upgrade. We are current on PTF’s.

Has anyone who has done this upgrade seen this going from V5R1 to V5R2?

I remember we had to do some extra stuff going to V5R1 to force object conversion. Do we need to do that at V5R2 as well?

I have an 830 production box to go up to V5R2 next month…..I need to get this resolved or that will be postponed…..

Thanks!

[shocked]

The first few days after the upgrade the system is converting all of the objects to the new format the first time the object is accessed.

Re: RE: iSeries Model 270 At V5R2 Is Dead Toad Slow Running JDE One World.......

That was the gig at V5R1 IF you did not do any object conversion. I converted all the JDE libraries as part of the post install process. Did the same thing yesterday on the JDE libs to see if there will be any improvment.

I also found for whatever reasons the HIPER PTF package did not install...SF99519. Working on getting it down and applied. This could be the culprit right there....Strange thing is though, the DB2 group PTF on the same CD set did apply....

Thanks!

Re: RE: iSeries Model 270 At V5R2 Is Dead Toad Slow Running JDE One World.......

Mshaw,

When you figure out the problem, please follow up with the list. I am currently running a 270 on V5R2 and have been working through performance problems. I believe my problems may be hardware related however. Also, upgrades tend to change things...here are a couple of things to check:
1) If you updated client access express to V5R2, make sure that you install SI07675 service pack as it repairs ODBC latency problems and incorrect returns of key fields to clients.
2) Make sure that your new ODBC's are cacheing SQL pacakges locally, lazy close support enabled, ... (check rebook for OneWorld for more info).
3) QZDASOINIT threads are now running in QUSRWRK (as opposed ot QSERVER), and your prestarts were reset by the upgrade. If you were running prestart jobs for the QZDASOINIT threads, you will need to set that up again.
4) Make sure you have the latest CUM (released April 7th) as it contains memory leak errors for SQLrequests and a problem with Iseries access ODBC's to DB2. These memory leaks have been allowing our temporary workspace to grow to 40GB before I have to IPL. This completely kills drive performance. Users will begin to get errors in EVERYTHING.
5) There are some separate PTF's required by OneWorld that will never be in a cumulative release. You will want to get these as they repair problems reading indexes on certain key tables to OneWorld (results in latency problems or time-outs).

Best of luck.

Ryan Hunt

Ryan,

The performance issues were two fold:

1.) Having to run object conversion over the JDE libraries (STROBJCVN)

2.) The HIPER Group PTF package not applying.

Once the object conversion was performed the performance improved, but was still slow. The re-apply of the HIPER group PTF package got us back to what we were seeing at V5R1 in terms of performance on this particular system.

Now, I did use the image catalog to apply the CUME and group PTF packages. The DB2 and HIPER Groups were on the same CD. The DB2 group applied from the image catalog. The HIPER stuff did not. I do not have an answer as to why this very minute. When I do this to our production Model 830, I am going to apply CUME and ALL group PTF packages from the CD's. I am not going to mess with the image catalog for this.

In the process of chasing all this down, another member of the midrange-l mailing list found that there were differences between what DSPPTF and WRKPTFGRP was showing. Go out to the V5R2 APAR database and do a search on WRKPTFGRP. Make sure ALL of the PTF's are on your system and this will resolve the differences.

Regards,

Mike Shaw

Mike,

We just did the upgrade to V5R2 and are experiencing problems with OneWorld performance in a 270 box (production). The another box (170 - development) is normal.

I'd like to ask you some questions:

I understand from your experience that you have re-installed the PTF SF99519. This ocurred because when it was installed it apperead like "Not Installed" at WRKPTFGRP command or what ? How you have defined that you have to re-install the PFT ? Did IBM work together with you ? If yes, could you please tell me PMR number ?

What is the current level for this PFT ? Our is "80".

When you say re-apply, we are saying remove PTF and apply it again or just apply it again ?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, for V5R2 iSeries Access, go to SI08895 service pack. With the SI07675 service pack you also need to download the odbc driver fix.

Make sure you read the IBM-JDE website for V5R2 and apply all of the PTF's suggested. Then work with IBM to try to determine the problem.

We have a 270 development box and have had no particular complaints during testing, except for needing a new index over the system table for RDA. When we went live on our other As/400 production box we had a few problems.

Attachments

• 63243-IBM Call Log starting with V5R2.doc
    44 KB · Views: 170
Back