ODBC settings for AS/400

rhunt

Well Known Member
Hello List,
I am trying to complete a tuning exercise on a new AS/400 with some performance issues.
Does anyone have a preference on the following options with regard to AS/400 datasources? Do you treat the Do Not Translate ODBC differently? Did you select these options based on best practice, or do you have specific reason to do so? Lastly, if anyone has any undocumented ODBC tricks that speeds things up, I would love to hear them…thanks.
-Enable Lazy Close Support
-Enable Data Compression
-Cache Package Locally

Thanks in advance.

Ryan Hunt

Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to check with you: Do you check the 'Cache Package Locally' box in Packages? Does it work?

Thanks in advance,
/Philip

Hi Ryan

Yes , I have response for your question because we are using the same configuration as you describe, you don t have choice to enable the option “ Not Translate “ , if you need to performe your performance, you need also to specify the Library for the cache package, this one is very important because it s keeping the sql script on as/400 and don’t need to do it for each transaction. Except that you need to delete these Sql package from the AS/400 library every time you create or you modified tables.

also, when you specify the AS/400 box, you need to fixe the IP Adresse and put the server as standars. If not it will be resolved each time you try to connect to the as/400.

Omar Kettab

Thanks for the info Amar. I was unable to definitely verify the benefits of the JDE suggested ODBC settings. So, I went ahead and stuck with their (and your) suggestion.

Thanks again.

Ryan

Hello Phillip,

Both IBM redbooks and the OneWorld tuning guide say to check the "cache packages locally" option. Accordingly, I went ahead and did it. However, I haven't found info that explained exactly what it should be doing, so I am honestly not sure if it is working or not.

Sorry.

Ryan

Back