Stupid JAS questions pt.2

msouterblight1

VIP Member
Ok, here goes..

1. I generated core objects and then did a generate all objects. If I log in via the web interface, and go to menu GH9011, only some of the applications show up, specifically User Profiles is not there, any ideas of what may have happened?

2. Tasks, I can see the tasks that have been created, but when I select them, nothing else appears on the screen, this is probably related to question 1, but any ideas are greatly appreciated.

3. In order for users to log in via JAS, I have to add the J environment directly to their user id, I am unable to get this to work by simply adding the environment to their group, any ideas as to how I can make this work at the group level?

Thank you for your time and input.

1. I believe user profile maint is one of those apps excluded from the egen.

2. Are these custom tasks your refering to? Make sure the gen completed successfully for these apps.

3. I always thought environments were at a user level and not group. Are you able to specify this by group? If so, cool. I wonder why it doesn't work for JAS? Is it possible you need to refresh cache on JAS (recycle the WAS)?

Sorry I don't have solid answers for you. I have run into these things before. I will try to refresh my memory on what I did to resolve them. :)

Thanks for the response. Any input is greatly appreciated. Yes, we created custom tasks, and the applications and reports that are assigned to the tasks can be seen from Solution Explorer, but not from the Web Client. I am thinking there is something I am not doing during the JAS gen, but I can't figure out what it is..

Matthew

3. I have run into similar problems with environements not appearing when I had them applied at both the user and Group level, now that all my environments are specified at the group level they function well.

1. the user profile is indeed one of the apps that is triggered to be client only (no web) each object has a catagory code attached that specifies if it is client, web or both (98/WC).

2.Menus and task view would also include this definition which may be your task view problem.

Hope this helps

msouterblight1,

CNC_Canada just reminded me that the problem we were having with our apps not being available was because they were flagged as client only. Take a look at the OL header (OMW, Design, look for the flag) and see if your apps/repts are flagged as such.

Changes to the Tasks and Task Views are dynamic except for the issue of cache.

Is this the same as flagging it as both web and client from task revisions?

Thanks,

The field is labeled as "Client Platform" and the data item on the task revisions form is (FUFTASK2)

I think you said that the tasks appear but none of the apps assigned to the task appear. All of the above must be triggered for the web. You may have tasks triggered for the web and applications that are client only. You can check through omw.

Hope this helps and I am not sending you down the wrong path, can you explain to us where you are coming from? Is this a new JAS install? How did this problem come about?

Thanks for all of your help. Yes, this is a new JAS install. Let me see if I can give you more detail as to the issue. We created custom tasks based partially on existing tasks that are delivered with the system. The existing tasks work fine, however, when we try to select the custom tasks, nothing is displayed. So, I assume it is something we did with the custom tasks, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again for your help.

OK!! Here's the deal, I wasn't selecting the correct role from the role drop down on the upper right hand side, I know stupid mistake. I now have 2 more questions...

1. How can I default the task associated to role when a user logs in? Right now every user sees OneWorld menus, not the task associated with their role.

2. Our users can see the tasks even if they aren't assigned to their role, they only see the name of the task, not any of the apps or other objects associated with the task. How can I secure the tasks from being seen by users that aren't associated with the task's role?

Thank you, and I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this very clearly.

2. The easiest way to maintain tasks that are visible to a role is thru the fine cut option in Solution Explorer. There's a document that describes this (ott-02-0017).

1. There is a file taskexplorer.properties in folder \jdedwards\JAS\webclient\web\taskexplorer that may allow you to change the default task view. It is not based on role, but you may be able to select a role based task.

Good questions.

In reference to the environment question... I have found that that any environments attached to a user over-ride ALL of the environments attached to the user's group. In other words, if the user's group has DV, PY and PD and the user has DV, then the user can only access DV and not the PY and PD environments. Hope that helps.

Back