Applying ESU's

SULLY1

VIP Member
Applying ESU\'s

Hi List.

Does anyone have experience applying ESU from a client using software that takes over the deployment server? I've used Net Support Manager with no problems. We've recently switched to DameWare. It runs much slower and I don't think I can trust it. Any opinions?

Patty

Re: Applying ESU\'s

We use Timbuktu Pro and TeleReach (by Raritan) with no problems.

Net support works great for me to get to the deployment and enterprise servers. Too bad it doesn't work on Citrix boxes.
dave

This is all very interesting - it is opening up the discussion once again about the remote control software to use.

Currently I have used Dameware and Webex. I like the idea of Webex the best if you have a large number of customers to maintain - since it is extremely secure, and can punch through firewalls. It also lists the machines on a central webex website.

Going to look at these other ones though....

Wish somehow JDE would fix the Workbench screen to allow VNC to use it though.

RE: Applying ESU\'s

Jon,
Had the same funnies in PCAW and after much trial and error found it
was the video setting that fried the workbench (and package assembly).
Changing it from 'Default Accelerator Enabled' to Compatibility seemed to fix
it, though it did slow down the graphics side of things..
Regards,
Kieran Fitzgerald

Jon

Have you used DameWare to apply ESU's on the deployment server from a client? I was told by JDE some time ago that using remote control software could lead to problems. I want to installed the latest planner ESU and Baseline ESU JD18810 which is a biggie. Should I just bite the bullet and do it directly on the deployment server?

Patty

Hi Patty,
I have been using Dameware to apply ESUs to the deployment server for a
while now without any problems. I have even applied big baseline ESUs
through Dameware. Once I kick off the process I close Dameware lest it slow
down the Deployment server.

Shashank
XE /Oracle/JAS

XE 18.1/NT/Oracle 8.1.7

Hi Patty,

I have used Dameware to Apply ESu. I perfer Dameware to PcAnywhere since their is nothing install on the Deployment server just the service which is install each time you logon.

It is a great tool.

Thanks Adrian. I think you've answered my question.

Patty

Right- using VNC and PCAnywhere to run the Workbench will lead to problems with the screen formatting (resulting in a Business Function error) - and therefore it has always been the idea to implement ESU's and other Workbench activities locally on the Deployment Server if possible.

However, I was also told recently by Adri that Dameware works - and I tested this at a customer of mine with no issues. It also seems as if Webex works as well - so not all remote control software are the same !

Others have mentioned additional packages - though I am loathe to recommend hardware specific solutions. Currently Dameware works, and is available on a short shareware license if you absolutely need something.

I've been using Dameware for about a year now for the deployment server (and the JAS machines and serialized object generation machine). It has worked flawlessly for me.

I have also used Dameware to apply ESU's successfully where PCANYWHERE and
VNC seem to cause this process and the package assembly process to crash.

Andy Smith
Technical Consultant

WHITEHOUSE
Consultants

http://www.whitehouse-consult.co.uk

Office : 01159 825987
Mobile: 07949 603770

E-Mail: [email protected]

Andy Smith
Whitehouse Consultants
Win2K SQLServer7 Xe

Back