NetTrace

kpapenfuss

There have been references made regarding setting NetTrace to "1" to help minimize Citrix-OneWorld disconnections. Does anyone know the significance of this setting? Currently all of our Citrix boxes have NetTrace to "0". I would like to understand what the difference is between the settings of "0" and "1" before making a change.

Thanks,

Jeff had brought this up also. We were checking the KG to see what we could
find but there was not much.
I can call the support center to see what this setting does. Even in the
System Admin manual it did
not give much of an explanation.

OW XE SP20_J1
DS - NT4.0 / SQL
ES - AS/400 V5R1
TS - Citrix XP FR1

Keith :

I'd also be interested on knowing exactly what does NetTrace do!

Regards, Sebastian

I know for us it makes a big difference in login time for all our W2K PC's. With NetTrace=1 W2K workstations log in quickly, with NetTrace=0 they log in like dogs. Real Big SLOW Dogs. Can't tell you exactly why but I like the outcome. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference on our other workstations.

Darrell Allison
Systems Programmer
AS/400 V4R4 9406-730 8-Way / OneWorld B7332 SP11.3

I was looking into similar problems with lost connections through Citrix. I could not find any answers about what this setting does so I contacted JDEdwards. Here is the reply I got from the JDE support person:

"Josh,

This is Darton with PeopleSoft in Denver, I am working with your case #5918721. You were asking about the Nettrace setting in the INI file. Please see the information below:

Nettrace is used as a logging tool:

A way to follow the path through the network is to turn on netTrace in the ini file for the Terminal Server (under JDENET, set netTrace=1). This will

generate a file that you will give timestamps at each of the network connections so that you can see where the delays are occurring.

[JDENET] netTrace=1

Possible values:

0 = Do not generate JDENet error messages (i.e., communication between platforms).

1 = Generate JDENet error messages.

Please let me know if this is the information that you are looking for."

I was disappointed with this answer because of all the people who claim it really helps with performance on their windows 2k platforms. But I got another email from him shortly thereafter.

"Josh,

Here is one more bit of information:

[JDENET]

netTrace=1

By setting this to "1" it causes different API's to get used that work faster with WIN 2000.

Darton"

Hope this helps! I've asked for more detailed information regarding the API's and any adverse effects that could result from changing this setting. I'll keep you all posted!

Back