Duplicate Environment, Different OCM?

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
Our client is adding a new section to their company. The new section will use the same UBEs and Apps as the old section, but will have different Business Data.

Initially, I wanted to fix this by setting up different OCM mappings or Row Level security for the user groups of the new section, but the client tells me that sometimes the new section users will want to look at old section data. Using two separate logons won't work either as the client wants to use Unified Logon (obviously we have to give the users the option of selecting their environment).

I think I could make a new Environment which would use the same Path Code as PD7333, but have a different OCM mapping, so I could set the business data mappings to a different data source. This would be similar to what JDE does with the WPD7333 environment-- it's the same as PD7333, but has its own OCM mappings.

How should I go about doing this? Is there another solution that could work?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I think I just found part of my answer: The P0094 Environment Master will let me duplicate an existing environment. The new environment has the same path code as the old one, but a separate OCM Mapping.

I just have one more doubt. If I change the OCM mappings so that the Business Data for the new environment comes from a new data source, will I have problems if there are new tables in a package? Or will I simply have to generate the new tables in the new data sources?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

We have the same setup you are talking about. We have a CAPD7333 and CAPY7333 where the OCM's point to different business data and control tables. When you say new packages I'm assuming you are talking about Updates, ESU etc. Just apply the ESU to the new environment. It will only do the spec merge once but do separate control table merge and table conversion. Do a search on the KG on Custom Environments. There are some special instructions that must be follow so that custom environments get updated properly.

Patty

Back