J2EE Open Source?

mozi

Hi List,

Sticker shocked by the price of the Enterprise Edition Websphere and in need to support multiple instances on one machine, we are considering an open source Java Application server on Linux. Has anyone tried this? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

We're planning to use a version of WebSphere for some portion of our JDE implementation. I'm a supporter of Open Source and attempted, without much success, to convince the powers-that-be to at least consider an open source solution. I was investigating the Open Source J2EE platform called JBoss (http://www.jboss.org) and was quite impressed. Don't know if this was the product you were looking at, but it may be worth the look (and $$$ savings) to check it out. BTW, if you do get an Open Source J2EE platform to play nicely with JDE, please post some tips. I haven't tried to integrate the two of them yet, so I have no pointers to offer at this time. Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you. It's nice to see that other people are looking to Open Source for alternatives to often overpriced software.

I am looking out for details on JD Edwards integration with JBOSS. Could you please provide details on this ?

Only Websphere or Weblogic is supported for JDE. While you might be able to use other J2EE servers, you're venturing into completely unknown territory - "here be dragons".

If you're concerned about pricing - then talk to an experienced partner (like myself) who can explain how JDE Technology Foundation works and provides extremely competitive pricing for your implementation. Believe me, Weblogic is expensive if purchased on the standard per-core model - but JDE has provided a solution for all customers.

However, if you think JDE is "free" or everything supporting JDE should be "free" - then you're going to be going down a path where you'll be on your own, and you'll likely encounter the wrath of the entire software industry - not just Oracle. JDE is not free, its an Enterprise product provided by one of the largest software companies on the planet, and it costs Oracle hundreds of millions of dollars to maintain it. Although Oracle supports Open Source, Open Source ISN'T free. It doesn't mean free. It means that you can download and modify the code - but at the end of the day, someone has to get paid to keep the code current.

Back