Limit number of open windows

Tom_Davidson

Tom_Davidson

VIP Member
Is there a way to limit the number of open windows that a OW user can have. We have an issue over in Europe where some users consistently open 20-30 windows. These consist of approximately 15 differents applications. Predictibly, this leads to memory violations and 'invalid overwrite or read' errors. MBF's are mapped back to our AS/400. Also I am unsure if the memory violations are actually on the server or the local client.

Other pertinent info: Users are connected via Citrix to a W2K Metaframe XP server farm. Individual boxes have from 10-20 users and are dual Pentium 500 w/4 G of RAM. I don't want to increase resourcing on each box as the users will just open more windows.

Any help will be appreciated.

I don't know of a way to limit the number of open windows, but I do know a way to limit the amount of memory used by each person on the Citrix servers.

It is possible to restrict the quantity of physical memory that oexplore.exe can address. Should an application have memory leaks, the application will only leak as far as this physical memory limitation and then generate a Dr. Watson error. Although a Dr. Watson error is never a good thing, at least the application will not continue to leak until it occupies all the available memory on the server and cause a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

This is a registry hack, so please be EXTREMELY CAREFUL implementing this!!!

Run your Citrix server's registry editor (REGEDIT or REGEDT32), and go to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\Compatibility\Applications

- Create new key: oexplore
- Under “oexplore” add value Flags = 800 (REG_DWORD, hex)
- Under “oexplore” add value PhysicalMemoryLimit (REG_DWORD)

When you set the value for PhysicalMemoryLimit, enter the number in hex or decimal, whichever you are more comfortable with, and set it to at least 42000000 (decimal) for 42 MB. Remember that OW currently (as of 5/15/02) recommends 50 MB, but I usually fudge up to 64 MB. You’ll have to experiment to make sure what value works best for you. Without creating the oexplore/Flags value, a user's OneWorld session would take up as much memory as is available. If you put in the Flags value without the PhysicalMemoryLimit value, the default memory limit reported is 32 MB.

I hope this helps.

I have changed this setting in the registry and it doesn't appear to be restricting the memory usage?? Please help!

Back