Length of client name

tgore

tgore

Reputable Poster
I am aware of the restrictions for the length of the deployment server name (10). Does the length of the client have any limitations? Our workstations were six characters long, but now due to new compnay standards they are considerablly longer (15). I have been having problems with deployments and accepting packages. Part of the problem I can attribute to WIN/XP. We are due to install SP21 to (hopefully) fix the WIN/XP problems. Could the longer names have anything to do with my problems?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom
I reduced the name length of our citrix server from 15 to 10. because the year in the event date field was recored 92 instead of 02 in the security history report for the record corresponding to Citrix server. The workaround for this problem is to reduce the length of the name of the client(Citrix server) to 10 or less characters. This is a known bug.

Tom :

Yes, client name is part of the problem.
JDE has incoherences (ouch!) dealing with client names.
Sometimes, it uses a char(10) field; sometimes a char(15) field.
In a few words, stick to char(10) convention.

Sebastian (www.jdelist.com, JDELIST).

OneWorld workstation names are limited to 15 characters. If you have any
Workstations with names longer than that, it will have problems.

Andy

CNC Consultant
AS/400, SQL 7/2000, TSE and Citrix

Tom

The maximum number of characters for a clients machine name is 15.

Patty

Just a side note - we upgraded to ERP 8 (SP21_D1) this past weekend. Today when a developer with a workstation ID of 15 characters went to checkout an object - JDE was cutting off the last character of her machine name and she would get an error that the object was not checked out to her machine. We renamed her machine to a 14 character name and now she is fine. Thanks!

Back