View PDF file take lot of time on Citrix server

vivek_kaushal

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
When we are viewing the pdf files from "View pdf" icon in the "Submitted Jobs" application in test Citrix server, it takes a lot of time before the pdf file is displayed even after disabling all the virus scan and rebooting the Citrix and enterprise server. I tested the same thing in the fat client and in the fat client it is very response time is very quick.

Here is what I have tested till now.
1. I went to the printQueue directory on the Citrix server and opened the file directly in acrobat reader and I can see the file quickly.
2. The time taken to show pdf file is same on test Citrix server whether we use standard or W environment.
3. I deleted all the files from printqueue directory on the citrix server and pressed the "view pdf" row exit in the Submitted Jobs application. The file was copied from Enterprise server to Citrix server quickly and then it took additional 30 seconds to open the file. The file size was less than 1Mb.

The production Citrix box is woking perfectly fine. The IE vesion on test Citrix box is 6.0 while on production box is 4.x.

Any suggestions

Couple of questions for you:

1) Which version of Acrobat Reader are you using on each server?
2) Is Novell NetWare in your network mix?

Are you using IE 6.0 or IE 6.01, SP1? If you're using 6.0, try upgrading to 6.01 SP1. M$ is even worse than JDE about getting a first time release of software correct.

Hi Kenneth

We have acrobat reader 4.0 and we do not have Novell Netware in our Network.

Thanks

Hi Pianosynth

We have IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP1. What do you suggest?

Thanks

I think Kenneth and I were both trying to identify external software that is known to cause problems. I would suggest you go to Adobe 5 instead of 4 since Adobe 4 is known to cause a lot of problems. You already have the most stable version of IE 6, so no change needs to be made there. You might want to search the JDEList archives for Acrobat 4 or Adobe 4 to get a better idea of some of the problems it causes.

In general, Acrobat 4 has numerous issues in a Citrix/Terminal Server environment. If fact, Adobe flatly states that Acrobat 4 is not supported on Terminal Server.

At previous clients, they had a large number of Novell printer definitions on their Citrix servers, and Acrobat 4 took an enormous amount of time to enumerate them all. For example, there were 50+ printers defined, and Acrobat took 3 minutes to close a document. When I cut down the number of printer definitions, Acrobat took less and less time. When I switched everything over to Windows NT printer shares, Acrobat behaved normally.

But the first real step would be to uninstall Acrobat 4, and put on Acrobat Reader 5.1 and see if that helps.

I agree with the upgrade to Acrobat 5.

However there is one additional area which might cause your problem.

When a PDF is viewed by a client it is first copied to the Local OutputDirectory - PrintQueue. Where this is located can affect the time it takes to display the PDF.

If you still get problems after installing Acrobat 5, look in your JDE.INI on the Citrix Server - Under [NETWORK QUEUE SETTINGS] - for OutputDirectory and see where it is mapped.

Hi Guys
Thank you very much for your help. We upgraded the Acrobat reader from 4.0 to 5.1 and now it seems that problem is gone( We are not able to reproduce the problem). But I am wondering why we did not face this problem in our production Citrix box where we have acrobat reader 4.0.
Also Klwong, can you please send me the link of adobe that says acrobat reader 4.0 is not supported on Terminal server.

Thanks

Unfortunately, the Adobe Support Knowledgebase has changed that particular document. Before it used to say that Acrobat 4 was not supported. Now it says that Acrobat 5 is the first version that is supported on a Terminal Server.

Attached is the document I saved from the Citrix Support site, and the text at the top of the 2nd page is roughly what I remember the Adobe document saying in the past.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 50845-Acrobat on Citrix.PDF
    10.7 KB · Views: 79
Back