Printer connection limits

BarbKramarski

We have a computer running Windows 2000Pro handling multiple shared printers. There is a limit in Windows to only allow 10 simultaneous connections to the printer. These connections are supposed to automatically drop after the print job is sent, but we are seeing numerous sessions that do not drop. We have changed the net config server settings to drop after 1 minute of idle time, and still sessions will not disconnect.

Is there any solution to this other than moving to Windows server and getting the appropriate user licenses.

Barb,

I had to read this a few times... before I thought I think what you are saying...

Basically, you are using a W2KPro workstation as a printserver?

A couple of issues... a user will (and should) remain connected to the printserver - until their document has printed. If the printserver's queue is backed up, then there could be many documents queued, thus many users attached due to the queue...

If users are monitoring their print outs, they maintain an open print queue connection until after they close that window. I am unaware of a registry hack or net parameter that says drop connection if not used for x seconds... I am sure that there is a setting, similar, somewhere.

Options, other than moving to W2K Server? First, I'd contact my local M$ sales rep. Explain the issue and ask for permission (this is one of those things where it is NOT better to get forgiveness than permission)... 8 out of 10 that they will provide you permission. You can post the same question to the microsoft Public news Groups @ news.microsoft.com (find the W2K group and get a M$ response.... reply back offlist - to protect ya fanny.

< http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=GSS&slcid=us >

Upgrade to W2KServer... but there is a gotcha. You will still have to have a license for each simultaneous connection (if you build the licensing that way). the licenses are still fairly costly...

M$ vs Linux or Direct... The biggest issue here is the IT headache (someone has to install the print drivers on each PC that will be hitting the printer. You can then either direct connect each workstation to the specific IP of each printer or through the share on a linux box... This takes M$ licensing completely out of the pix.

Staying with the M$ $olution will allow your client PCs to automagically have their print drivers updated/installed on connection to the client... just a mental note.

Which ever means you use... remember, that: I many situations it is easier to get forgiveness than permission - BUT, Software Licensing Is NOT One Of Those Situations! Don't let the SBA Nazis get your company.

Daniel

I was very curious, whether the 10 limit was specific to only IIS (where M$ originally made the statement) or to the workstation...

I have posted a similar question to one of the M$ News Groups - I'll let you know how they reply.

Daniel

http://www.syngress.com/customer/mcse/professional.htm

The 10 session limit is related to SMB or File Share connections. There
cannot be more than 10 concurrent connections to shares on a Win2k
Professional machine. That can be 10 users that have one share open each, or one user that has 10 shares open! If you have problems with users keeping too many shares open, you can configure the timeout period for connections to be shorter. The default period is 15 minutes. This can be done in the registry or via Group Policy.

Now,... I'll post the question on how to set the SMB time-out to less than 15 minutes...

db

Back