See business function dependencies for a UBE/App?

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
How can I see what business functions a UBE or an APP uses without generating the Cross-References with the R980011?

I have a UBE which I need to package and distribute, but I don't know all of the Business Functions used in the UBE. I realize this type of information is available in the Cross Reference Facility, but we are short on disk space (and time) and I've been told that generating the X-Ref information is very disk space intensive and takes a very long time.

It seems like I should be able to just open the UBE in the RDA and look around until I find the referenced BSFNs, but I don't know how to do that-- it shames me, but I know not how to develop in OneWorld (however, I kick in C with OpenGL: I'm proud of my mirrored balls!).

I've opened the RDA to look at the Event Rules, and now I understand why our developers are all unhappy men who seem to have lost their faith. What a mess! I'd think it was COBOL if I didn't know what COBOL looked like. The command names seem to have been designed by Business Majors. There is no way to look for a line of text in the entire app-- you have to open every event. If I had to choose between working in NER and gardening, I'd choose gardening.

Anyway, can anyone give me some pointers on this? Or maybe how I can configure the R980011 to only look for relationships involving single object?

Thanks in advance.

Tim,
You're cracking me up. Thanks for the laugh this morning.
If you want to be able to see all of the event rules involved in a particular application go into any event and hit the print button. Then I usually click the radio button to send to a file. To the right of that you can specify the file name. I usually type in a name like EV_P4210. Then change the scope from event to application.
After this completes open up the file with Wordpad. Beware this can be a huge file depending on the application.
If you know what you are looking for you can search in Wordpad to find all occurances. Also, this will show all parameters on all calls if you don't change the default "expand arguments".
Regards,
Dave

Thanks gtljde!
I didn't know JDE had this as an option. I'll go try it out. Thanks again.

It seems to me, you can put Data Selection for XRef UBE, and therefore generate Xref only for one particular object. This should not take a lot of space.

Regards

Yaroslav

Hi Tim

Another way of finding out which business functions are (typically) called is to run the UBE with jdedebug turned on.
Do a search for 'Calling Business Function' In the JDEDEBUG.LOG and voila there is your list.
Two caveats though:
* If business functions are called condtionally and the condition is not met during the UBE run, the bsfn will not be shown.
* The debug log will tell you at what level the bsfn is called. Level 1 is straight from the UBE (or APPL). Further levels are nested bsfns called from other bsfns.

Also you stated that you can't review all code at once, however if you use browsER you can see all code at a glance (plus it is also easier to recognise the bsfns as they are 'exploded' to show the datastructure parameters).

Rgds,

Back