Accepting update package without Admin rights?

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
The NT Install guide says to give users read/write permissions on the registry key HKLM\Software\JDEdwards so that normal users can accept update packages. Unfortunately, our SysAdmin hasn't gotten around to making this change (still investigating the security implications, I guess). So we have some users accepting update packages even though they can't write to the registry key.

They get the message:
"Client Workstation Setup
Setup has determined that you are not an administrator on this machine and it is not recommended that you continue setup. Do you wish to continue?"

In any case, the changes in the packages for these users seem to work.

What is the impact of accepting an update package if you can't write to HKLM\Software\JDEdwards?

Thanks in advance.

Tim,

In my experience it just updates the package name and date installed. If you really need this information you can check the install log. We've simply copied the path code into the machine many times with no ill effects.

For update packages, needing this authority may also depend on the content of the special 'goodies' that can sometimes be added with package build 'features' ie a new JDE.INI file (going into x:\WINNT\) or perhaps new/updated ODBC config settings.

/Philip

Good point. Our users do have rights to write to C: and C:\WINNT, which is where most of those goodies would go. Any idea of rights necessary to accept an ODBC feature? I'd guess that those would be registry rights again.

In any case, I'd guess that any packages with features will end up being installed by someone with administrator rights, since the client is very security conscious, and it is unlikely that they will modify rights in all the possible places where we might install features.

Thanks for the answer.

Back