OMW issues with SP 21?

HampMcCool

[AS/400, DB2, ERP8, SP 21, Fat Clients running Win2000]

Has anyone experience apparently random OMW lockups on SP 21?

They appear to happen after a handful of OMW actions occur within one execution of OMW. Nothing in the log appears to occur as a result of the lockups.

All help is appreciated!

Hello,

What type of transactions are you talking about? Does this happen on all PCs?

Regards,

Dan

The lockups occur typically during check-ins, check-outs, and version copying.

I have found that there is one ESU, JE3623, which has ALL OMW application changes since ERP 8 was released. We will know soon if this has any impact.

Thanks!

We are seeing checkouts occasionally taking long (>20 Mins in some cases). Log out, log back in and check out same object in less than a minute. Did some tracing on it and there is no dtabase activity during the entire 20 mins, rather the HD on the local PC is hammered. Seems that the checkout is causing the PC to scan the local drive for the object before going to central objs. Yet to figure out why. Are you seeing the same?

ERP8 (SP21), Win2K/SQL 2K

Your client PC isn't by chance Windows XP, with System Restore turned on? We've turned off System Restore and it made a HUGE difference in Update Package times, and I imagine that a checkout could likewise cause a lot of hard drive activity if System Restore is turned on.

No, we are just looking at applying SP21 and your message caught my eye. Let me know if you figure out why it's doing that.

Thanks and good luck!

Dan

Yes! These are all WinXP clients and a quick check shows Sys restore is on. Will disable and see what happens. The one thing about the problem I think needs to be emphasised is that it is not consistent. You don't encounter the same problem on the same object each time or the same PC. Sometimes it works fine, other times it just never finishes.

We seem to have alleviated our OMW issues by two things:

(1) There was a compatibility issue with the IBM Client Access level on the
PC's which has been corrected, and,

(2) Installing all of the OMW fixes now available via ESU JE3623.

That ESU is the only one released since the base ERP 8 that included fixes to
the OMW application.

But, we may have experienced the same long check-out times before the fixes,
but I don't think any of the users waited 20 minutes to find out, before
closing out of the program.

Re: OMW and Windows XP SP 1

I try to change the System Restore in Windows XP SP 1, since when doing
CHECKOUT he was very slow. I disable this option, reinitiates windows and
until continues being as slow as in the beginning. I make CHECK-OUT
of the R42520 object and I take two hours and It do not finish.

If they know to something please contact me on the matter.

I am evaluating the funcionability of Windows XP with ERP 8,0, on this depends if other users use it or continue using Windows 2000

(Excuseme my translation, I did it of Spanish to English, automatic methode.)

I try to change the System Restore in Windows XP SP 1, since when doing
CHECKOUT he was very slow. I disable this option, reinitiates windows and
until continues being as slow as in the beginning. I make CHECK-OUT
of the R42520 object and I take two hours and It do not finish.

If they know to something please contact me on the matter.

I am evaluating the funcionability of Windows XP with ERP 8,0, on this depends if other users use it or continue using Windows 2000

(Excuseme my translation, I did it of Spanish to English, automatic methode.)

Re: OMW and Windows XP SP 1

OMW would not even run on our Windows XP systems 1/2 the time while system restore is turned on. I turned it off for all drives and it's made a HUGE difference in OMW, seems to have fixed all of our problems.

Back