Disaster Recovery in OneWorld

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
My boss has asked me for a Disaster Recovery Plan for OneWorld. I looked in the Knowledge Garden and found that this term has a special meaning for World on the AS/400. It deals with a licensing code to be used to bring up the system in an emergency.

So for OneWorld, I assume that I just need to come up with a backup and recovery plan. Is that correct?

I've thought that it could be something like this, assuming an Enterprise Server acting as the Data Server and a single Deployment Server, with at least the path codes DV, PY and PD:
1) As a policy, development should not happen in production, and developments should be either saved to a save environment or checked into the server as often as possible.
2) A backup should be made of the database information on the Enterprise Server and stored separately.
3) A backup should be made of the entire JDE directory of the Enterprise Server and the Deployment Server and stored separately.
4) In event of a disaster, the system would be taken down and the appropriate parts of the system would be recovered from tape.

I also thought about how we could handle this according to how much downtime the client could handle. If the system had to be high availability, backups to tape would not be enough-- we would have to have hot spares for the ES and the DS, and maybe have journaling on the database (though this would effect performance adversely).

Has anyone done a Disaster Recovery plan for OneWorld? Is my plan basically sound, or are there problems?

Thanks in advance.

Tim,

you should be able to take the document for replacing the deployment server (OTI-99-0057 - Changing Out a Deployment Server) as a starting point for your disaster recovery plan. The concept is basically the same (by the way you WILL need to call JDE for a license code).

Apparently there is no corresponding document for the Enterprise Server. Some of the issues are the same, some are different. Our ES is UNIX and a rebuild/restore onto a new/replacement machine would be much easier than a Windows ES - basically we would just restore from backup after setting up hardware and raid - although it would take longer to get the hardware :( . You could possibly do that with a windows based ES if you trusted your backup software to restore only the application portions of the registry. I would test first.

Good Luck,

Disaster Recovery design questions

Disaster recovery is customer specific. How you answer the following questions will effect your design:
1. What platform do you use? AS400, Oracle, SQL, DB2 all provide different recovery options. Some require 3rd party software, some provide everything you need bundled.
2. How long can you be down? You can design a hot site that can take over processing immediately in a distaster scenario or backup to tape.
3. How much data can the business afford to lose? SQL server supports 'log shipping' and other technology that can virtually elimate data loss and software package such as Vision can guarenty the same for the AS400. On the other hand, the previous nights backup may be all the business can cost justify.
4. Do you really need to perform development work during a disaster? Usally the answer to this questions is 'no'. If not you do not need to account for non-production databases in your disaster scenario. Of course, this does not excuse not getting good regular backups of the non-production databases.
5. Do you use OLE attachments and if so are they required in a disaster scenario? If the answer to both questions is 'No' and the answer to question 4 is also 'No', then a deployment server would only need to be evaluated in terms of package deployment.
6. Is your disaster equipment dedicated to this task or in use for other operations? If the disaster equipment is dedicate, you can take the primary equipment offline and rename your distater equipment to that of the production equipment (including various TCPIP configurations) to take over the production tasks. Otherwise, you will need to look into other options, including modifying the server name in the OneWorld system tables and on the workstations and servers.

Re: Disaster Recovery design questions (TimAllen)

Found this old thread and noticed that the original poster was in New Orleans...

Tim, if you're still monitoring the list, did your recovery plan ever get completed? Did it work?

Re: Disaster Recovery design questions (TimAllen)

Hi Tim
Would like to know if the plan got prepared and any tips you could share

Hi Jeremy ;

I have thoroughly read the Disaster Recovery design questions (post # 49980) . But ; unfortunately I still need a complete Backup & Restore Plan for JDE EnterpriseOne system as soon as possible , what can I do ....!!

Plz , keep in touch ……….!

Regards ;
Abdul-Fattah Humoud
CNC Trainee

Company Address :

Saudi Arabia / Eastern Province / Khobar City/
Al-Falak Electronic Equipment & Supplies Co./
JDEdwards ERP Solutions Div./ Postal Code # 31952/
P.O.Box # 1963

Back