Debugging Named Event Rules without using C++

parora

Well Known Member
Is there anyway to debug a Named Event Rule (NER) using the JDE Event Rules (ER) Debugger. In the ER Debugger, you don't have the option of debugger an N type Object. Instead, when the ER Debugger comes across a NER, MS Visual Studio is launched and it passes through the C++ code. Does anyone know of any workarounds so that ER debugging can be used instead of C to debug the code?

An easy way of debugging NER is to liberally add the bsfn "M&D Debug" into the NER.
It's not great, but it does the trick.

Gene

Hi Gene,

Thanks for your response, but I was hopping you could provide more details on this. I understand this this function is a Data Structure, but not too familiar with this. Want I effectively want to do is step through the ER rules within the NER while the program processes and trace want's happening the background. Will this funtion let me do this? Do I call this in the beginning of the NER? What parameters should I pass to this functions? What does this function actually do? Thanks in advance.

Edit the NER via omw.

Throughout the NER, add the bsfn M&D Debug.

This bsfn allows you to display a comment (such at "Beginning of NER", "End of NER", whatever),
5 alpha fields, 5 numeric fields, and 5 character fields.

Save, Exit, and Build the NER.

When you run the appl (ube) that processes the NER,
the "M&D Debug screen" will pop up showing your comment and any of the values you chose to display.

You can't do "neat stuff" like changing the values of variables,
but it does allow you to figure out the NER's flow.

Gene

Not without modifying the code or reproducing it within a UBE or form.

Back