Second Ethernet Card

Solack

[frown]
Ibm came in and replaced some batteries in a iop card. After re-ipling my second (or first) ethernet card no longer functions.... I cannot ping to it, but i can ping from it. It does not seem to receive any packets when I ping it. Any suggestions out there. I've talked to IBM and they insist that the problem is network related and my card is fine.

Your friend here, are the tools; TRACERT and NSLOOKUP.

From a pc - instead of ping, use tracert (tracert ibmservername or tracert ipaddress)... that way you can locate where the network, the routing is dying...

If you are trying to ping the Name of the IP ... and it doesn't find the IP associated with the name - check the DNS settings... (on the DN Server)... You can use NSLOOKUP (from a PC)... this will tell you which name-server is being queried and what/if anything/ is found.

If the Server can PING OUT, make sure that you are pinging something that can't ping it... If it is a routing issue - packets should be getting lost on the return trip (you can hit the target, but you'll never know because they time out before coming back)...

Let us know what you've tried - and we can feed you more.

I'd be most inclined to hear if the the DNS was dynamic - and dropped the entry while the 400 was down... timing is a lot of stuff....

Daniel

Ed,

Couple of quick questions? Are you trying to ping from the same subnet? You say you can ping out, what is this based on i.e. do you get a response back when you ping from the server. Are you trying to ping from multiple stations to the AS/400 or just one. If just one can you ping other stations? A quick way to test the card and IP stack is to ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and the cards actual IP address from the server itself.

dns entry exists in primary dns server .... when I nslookup the server name it returns both ip addresses and if i nslookup either ip address it returns the same server name.

sorry about previoius response- was answering dbohner question.
1. If I ping a known pingable ip address not on the as400 from the as400 using ping remotes address PING RMTSYS('192.168.0.6') NBRPKT(6) LCLINTNETA('192.168.0.7')

.6 is another server on my network. . 7 is my as400 than i cannot ping.
The above as400 command return no response on ping.
No response from host within 1 seconds for connection verification 1.

Is the card in question connected to a hub or a switch? In some cases, the
routing table in a switch can get corrupted or confused and the switch needs
to be reset.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Go... FASTER! Without an upgrade! With ARCTOOLS/400(tm)
http://www.arctools.com
[email protected]
DCSoftware, Inc.
Ph: (508) 435-8243
Fax: (508) 435-4498
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Back