How do UBE version specs get to the Enterprise Server?

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
We just had a consultant make a copy of an UBE version in PY7333. He did *not* check it in to the Deployment Server. He did some tests (results and level of surprise noted):
1) He executed the UBE Version locally with success (no surprise).
2) He went to another machine and could *see* the new version if he specified that he wanted to see all version, but could not execute it (mild surprise-- how did he even *see* the version?)
3) From the machine where he designed the version, he executed it on the Enterprise Server with success (mere surprise was no longer adequate and we had to resort to astonishment).

I'm supposed to be a CNC, but I could not explain this. I think this highlights my lack of understanding of versions.

How did those UBE Version specifications get to the Enterprise Server? Remember that the consultant did not check the specifications in to the Deployment Server, and of course we made no Enterprise Server package. Versions seem to be neither fish nor fowl.

Thanks in advance.

That's normal.

Versions specifications JITI to the server if there is a queue set up to accept them.By default there is such a queue. In fact, there is a "spec only" switch on the submission form that will install the specs on the server without running them.

This is normal behaviour.

When View ALL Version is selected, this will list ALL versions in the F983051. This lists ALL versions which have been created, and monitors whether they are checked in or out.

Obviously if a Version was created on a workstation and not checked in the Specs for that version only exist on the workstation and so are not available to another workstation. Only when the Version is checked in can they run on another Workstation.

When a UBE Version is run on the Enterprise Server the Specs are copied to the ENterprise Server from the LOCAL workstation. No deployment required.

UBE Versions only need deploying to the Enterprise Server is they are only called on the Server, for eample one UBE calls another or RUNUBE is used for Batch running on the Enterprise Server.

Note this only applies to UBE Versions.

Application Versions ae created straight away and do not need deploying or checking in!

Back