Websphere:: Number of CPUs/Licensing?

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
We're looking at getting a server to run the JAS and also looking at getting Webpshere 4.x for a Win2000 box.

From what it looks like, they charge you per CPU or is this only for the AS400? If I get a Dual Processer Win2000 server, do I have to pay double the amount they charge for Websphere?

Grant.

That is what I understood when I spoke to the JDE sales Rep. However he also told me that beginning with SP 22 JDE and IBM have agreed to package WebSphere with the Service Pack. The client will pay a flat fee and will be able to have any amount of users and any amount of processers.

Maybe you should contact your sales rep for some more details.

Hi Grant,

For Intel W2K, you must purchase WAS 4.0 based on the number of CPU's (except WAS Express). Depends on the Passport Advantage level agreement you have, but for two CPU's the price should be double.

Also, beware the new nomenclature that came out after WAS 5.0 was released:

1. AS Advanced Edition is now called: WAS Network Deployment:
==> Multi Server Multi processor, pricing per CPU

2. WAS Advanced Edition Single Server is now called: WAS Processor License
==> Multi Server Multi processor, pricing per CPU

3. WAS Advanced Edition Standard Edition is now called: WAS Express
==> Single Server Single Processor, pricing per Server

Regards,
/Philip

My understanding of bundling WebSphere was a little different. Apparently, the Tech Foundation module (or whatever it is called) has been re-priced to include WebSphere. This is at a very reduced price. Also, with this new pricing, you do not need to worry about licensing WebSphere for each CPU as that is included in the price. Where it gets a little confusing is when you start using WebSphere for something other than the JDE suite of products.

Great, thanks for all the replies. JDE is calling for Websphere v4.x. I wonder if would work under V5.x Express?

Grant.

I hve been speaking with my JDE rep about this. He stated that Webshere Express would not be sufficent in 8-10 months. He is suggesting V5 and says that JDE will be coming out with a branded or at least specially priced version of Webshere this month. I am hoping to get more inforamtion on that today.

Thanks for the info. If you can, let me know via this forum (post or through a private message) what you find out.

Grant.

I will look forward to seeing this. I also heard these kind of rumours from my "well informed" rep.

According to that comment, Cleo, even those people without Websphere and who haven't even started a websphere implementation are entitled to "unlimited free websphere" when SP22 comes out.

Either that - or they're going to charge you for the service pack ??? Maybe its part of maintenance ?

Oh dear. I really hope that JDE doesn't charge customers for their mistakes - but then again, these days anything is possible....

However, tongue-in-cheek comments aside, I really recommend getting anything a JDE rep says in writing these days - preferably date stamped !!!!

Back