Waiting to Post

MelissaS

We currently run about 1000 posting jobs (R09801) a day. We have this single threaded per JDE's recommendation because we do lots of inter-company transactions. Our users get very frustrated because sometimes they have to wait up to 2 hours during busy times of the month to get their posting job through the queue. I was wondering how other companies out there with large posting volumes handle this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have a version for JEs using 1 queue, a version for AP another queue and another version for everything else. This would require your CNC guy to create a couple more single threaded queues.

Xe, Update6, sp18.1_d1 Oracle 8.1.7.3 NT4sp6a

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that option would work for us. There is a possibility that someone doing a JE could be posting to the same account at the same time as someone posting AP. This scenario probably isn't very likely but with our volume - it is possible.

Thanks!

Hi Melissa,
This may sound like a very small thing but it helped considerably at my place.
In the enterprise server jde.ini one parameter is QueueDelay=30. This meant that after each ube completed it was waiting for 30 seconds to start processing a new ube. I changed this to QueueDelay=10 and it did not cause any problems but did give us a much quicker turnaround time.
Regards,
Dave

Thanks for the tip but I do not see that in my Enterprise INI. Is it a setting I need to add?

Thanks!

I'm curious as to why you'd run the post program 1,000 times a day. It's hard for me to imagine running this program that often. Of course, we're just a single site with only about 100 users.

The queue delay can be added into your INI or if you are unix, you can add
it into your RunOneWorld.sh

That is a fair question and I really have no good answer - the posting all day long policy comes to me from the accounting powers that be. We have about 300 users. I am guessing that this really has something to do with "this is how we have always done it". Unfortunately - I don't get to change the procedure. :(

Melissa,
You can add it in the network queue settings section. Before changing it I suggest you time the amount of time it takes for one job to end and the next to start.
If you do that you can be assured that the change you make does help out.
Good Luck,
Dave

ps: Of course you know that services must be bounced for the changes to take effect.

Melissa

We have a fair volume of transactions each day, but not as may as you I would think. We schedule posting runs where we submit the post programs a couple of times a day. If Finance need specific things posted (eg they want to run a cheque run so they need all the vouchers posted), then they run the voucher post version themselves without waiting for the scheduled run. This seems to work quite well. I would question them hard about the post immediate policy to see if really does affect them if batches are not posted immediately.

Back