World (400) Business Data to OneWorld (Oracle)

alexanac

We have a potential client currently running World on an AS/400. They are thinking about an upgrade (full, not co-existence) to OneWorld. They would, however, like to see OneWorld and play with it for a while to test out the functionality. The catch being they want to use their existing business data from the 400. This doesn’t have to be a live link, just a snapshot of the data. The OneWorld demo servers will be located in a different city than the current World install and I am unsure about getting a large enough pipe to make a usable direct connection. I had a thought, if we could do this, we could add the 400 business data as a datasource, as well as the new, empty, OneWorld Oracle database and use the R98403 to make the transfer. Other than that, I don’t see any way to do this via “DLTnet” (sending a tape) since we have no AS/400 here. I guess we could do the whole transfer at the 400 site, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose (why move it once you have already done it?). So it looks like making a connection and adding the datasource is my only route?

Is what I am proposing even possible?

Will the R98403 take care of all of the translation necessary from the 400/DB2 to Oracle?

Having never seen World, are the tables even remotely the same for business data?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tony Alexander
[email protected]

Hi there

I had this issue with a client too.

My solution was to install Standalone. Using a data extraction tool provided
by the legacy system I fired a big sample of data into Excel. From there I
converted it to Xe format and then imported the data into Xe.
No bandwidth issue, no real cost, just about six days of effort. I'd told
them to budget for 10 days but it went right first time off.

The nice thing about this solution for my client was the senior managers
could have the info, loaded onto their laptops, and look at it wherever they
wanted to, probably on the train home, or at the Golf Club!!

It's all in the planning and that's something you've got to do whichever way
you decide to go.

Might be worth thinking about.

Good luck and best regards

Sid Perkins
Independent JD Edwards One World Consultant

Tel: #44 1304 825003
Mobile: #44 7713158807
[email protected]

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 4:15 PM
Subject: World (400) Business Data to OneWorld (Oracle)

thinking about an upgrade (full, not co-existence) to OneWorld. They would,
however, like to see OneWorld and play with it for a while to test out the
functionality. The catch being they want to use their existing business
data from the 400. This doesn't have to be a live link, just a snapshot of
the data. The OneWorld demo servers will be located in a different city
than the current World install and I am unsure about getting a large enough
pipe to make a usable direct connection. I had a thought, if we could do
this, we could add the 400 business data as a datasource, as well as the
new, empty, OneWorld Oracle database and use the R98403 to make the
transfer. Other than that, I don't see any way to do this via "DLTnet"
(sending a tape) since we have no AS/400 here. I guess we could do the
whole transfer at the 400 site, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose
(why move it once you have alr!
datasource is my only route? Is what I am proposing even possible?Will the
R98403 take care of all of the translation necessary from the 400/DB2 to
Oracle?Having never seen World, are the tables even remotely the same for
business data?Any other suggestions?Thanks!Tony
[email protected]

Hi Tony!
Great idea the client has but......depending on what they run Fin/Dist/Mfg it may not work - e.g. AR was pretty much a rewrite for OW. Also there are some other differences in the way some of the fields are used in dist/mfg (if memory serves!) between OW and W.
Bottom line is that it is possible bit it will not be just a data copy - its more like the full job they are asking for up front.
Why not ask them for their processes (or CRP scripts from the World install) and create some data in OW for them? The GL, AP and AAI's are the same so that shouldnt be a problem.....
I hope this helps a little.

Best regards

Peter

Wow - you guys finally doing work with OneWorld ? I remember helping Mohammed Biviji out like 4 years ago, and since then I haven't seen Accenture at any OneWorld implementation !

However, to answer your question - there are a couple of easy methods to perform what you are asking...

First of all, the World data model is VERY similar to OneWorld except there are some significant differences in certain modules - including A/R. This means that in a coexistence implementation, triggers are placed on certain tables so that Oneworld tables are correctly updated when data is entered in World (except A/R). Most tables in the coexistent model are actually shared between OneWorld and World.

However, what you are suggesting is also fine - I would either use the R98403 or use CopyTable (Table Conversion Script) to copy the data manually between the environments - I have done this many, many times. You won't be touching any tables with BLOB's (since World doesn't have any) so really, there is nothing to worry about.

Its a good idea to use JDE to copy data between different databases - since there are differences between NUL dataformats on DB2 and Oracle (which is what it seems you are considering).

Anyway - glad to finally see someone from Accenture post on here, I have only ever seen about 5 members of Accenture post on JDEList !

Thanks for all the comments everyone! They are most helpful as we try to figure out how to proceed.

Jon - We have been working with OneWorld for several years now at Accenture and have completed dozens of related projects that I know of. This question was simply specific to a particular client. I myself have never really even worked with World, but have been doing OneWorld CNC for almost three years with about ten different projects.

I'm assuming you meant Mustafa Biviji? He's still around and doing an Xe rollout in Seattle. I'll tell him you said hello!

Thanks again!

Tony

Back