Add New Data Source

mcb

Hi List,

We need to access to external database (It can be, Access, SQL Server, etc...) to get information for reports. I would like to add new data source to Py7333 environment, and after the developers will design a report that extract the information from this external database.Is it possible??, Do I have to create a new environment or only new data source???.
Thank you very much.

We've exported data to Access databases by creating the access database, creating an ODBC data source for it, and creating the data source pointing to the access database ODBC dns, then using the P98403, changing the data selection *very carefully*.

I would assume the process would be similar to import data from Access databases as well. However, I suppose that you would have to create the table in OneWorld using the OMW, adding a new table, and placing it in the Access database's data source. Then it should (*should*) act like a normal table in OneWorld.

With the Access database, I assume it would only work from the machine where the database was located and the ODBC data source had been defined. But I would think that if the database were located in SQL Server, then anyone who had the ODBC datasource defined could run the report.

I see no reason why you would need a new environment for this.

Hope that helps.

MCB :

You just need to create the Datasource (server and local if you plan to run
your UBEs on clients and enterprise servers).

Sebastian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strictly Personal and Confidential.
This email may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.Thanks.
Este mensaje es confidencial.
Puede contener informacion amparada por el secreto profesional. Si usted ha
recibido este e-mail por error, por favor comuniquenoslo inmediatamente via
e-mail y tenga la amabilidad de eliminarlo de su sistema; no debera copiar
el mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona. Muchas gracias.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: RE: Add New Data Source

Thank you Tim and Sebastian for your answers!.
I found the document ott-99-0045 on KG, and I created a new environment and data source, and now we're trying to do the table conversion.
Thanks!.

One more question...
I can't design a report that read my external data with oneworld data, and show me both, to work with the external data I have to run a table conversion always??, or do you know another way?

Regards.

MCB,

You can display info from your current datasource and another datasource using different ways :

First if your create a table in oneworld identical to your foreign table then you can :

- Setup OCM to "point" to the other datasource for this table. Using this way the foreign table will act like a OneWorld table.

or

- Create a environement connected to your external datasource and then using handles you will be able to fetch in this foreign table without OCM on it.

The First way is more clear to developer but sometimes it's good to know both.

* If your external table is not in a format compatible to OneWorld you can still access it but then you will need other setup (I don't mind to explain if that's your case)
** Need to tell you that I'm using both of those technique so I know they usualy work.
*** both of those techniques can experience delay in accesing the foreign table depending where the data reside.

mcb,

if your need is solely for reporting, why not use a reporting tool (not RDA). Whether it's Crystal, Cognos, or some other product, third party report writers are capable of doing what you want without going through all the pain of describing the external data to JDE, and the bigger pain of using RDA as a report writer.

Regards,

Back