SAN and Enterprise Server

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading to JDE 5 and I discovered our enterprise servers do not have the disk space capacity to accomplish that. We also found out that we cannot add bigger drives to the servers. One of our UNIX system engineer suggested that we move out /u01 to a SAN storage which will allow us to have the capacity that we need. We currently have our Oracle database in SAN and it seems to perform fine, however we do not have many users accessing the system nor are we processing much.

I guess I am trying to find out if that is even a possibility and if it is then what might be some of the drawbacks of doing so. Any input will be appreciated.

Hello Cleola,

A SAN solution should work particularly if you've already proved it out with your Oracle DB. Your Oracle DB has/will have much more I-O than the OneWorld Software and other files.

I am not an expert on SAN but I believe in general SAN storage is slower than local storage.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Larry,

Thanks for your response...from what I understand SAN is slower than local but much faster and morefail safe than NAS. Mostly all data in our company is stored on SAN. I am waiting on JDE to actually give the green light as to weather it is "approved" procedure with their support and all.

Cleola,

I have worked with clients in the past that use both the SAN solution from
IBM (Shark) and from EMC and they both seem to provide adequate (if not
superb) performance.

I have even worked on a client where all drives on the deployment server
were on a SAN solution (including the bootable C: drive). No problems.

Thanks,
James

IBM Business Consulting Services
OneWorld CNC Consultant
Cell #: 612-247-1746

cleolai
<[email protected] To: James Wilson/Chicago/IBM@IBMUS
oquest.com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: SAN and Enterprise Server
owner-jdelist@jdelis
t.com

01/29/2003 01:04 PM
Please respond to
jdelist

Hi,We are in the process of upgrading to JDE 5 and I discovered our
enterprise servers do not have the disk space capacity to accomplish that.
We also found out that we cannot add bigger drives to the servers. One of
our UNIX system engineer suggested that we move out /u01 to a SAN storage
which will allow us to have the capacity that we need. We currently have
our Oracle database in SAN and it seems to perform fine, however we do not
have many users accessing the system nor are we processing much.I guess I
am trying to find out if that is even a possibility and if it is then what
might be some of the drawbacks of doing so. Any impute will be
appreciated.
Cleola Isaacs, MCSE
CNC Technical Analyst
ProQuest Information and Learning
Xe XU4 SP 20_J1
Enterprise SUN Solaris 420R Oracle 8.1.7.3.0
WTS Win 2K Meta Frame XP, Win 2K JAS
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=48894
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World® / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

Cleola,

My company has been running JDE in a SAN environment for the last 18 months. Our configuration for our clustered enterprise server is:

Two Compaq 8500 servers, eight way processers, 4 Gig of Ram, C drive local, everything else on SAN. We are using Windows 2000 Clustering in an Active/Passive configuration. (Our database is SQL 2000) The San has 3 Terabytes of disk space and is used by the enterprise servers, the batch server and our Cognos servers. The trickiest issue in implimenting this solution (from a CNC perspective) is keeping straight in your head when to use the logical (alias) name for the cluster vs. when to use the alias name for the database vs. the actual names of the servers. As for speed, our SAN is a speed demon (in the UNIX world would that be a "speed daemon"?).

Gregg Larkin
North American CNC, Praxair
XE, Windows 2K clustered, SQL 2K, Citrix XP

Thank you all very much...I am going to pass the information to my team and see how quick we can get that setup.

Attached is a picture of our current JDE environment. We will expanding this picture to add in websphere application servers and eventually shrinking or eliminating our terminal server farm.

Attachments

• 49031-servers.doc
    176.5 KB · Views: 69
James,

Do you know how the client setup the deployment server using NAS? We have been trying that here with not much luck.

Thanks!

Back