JDE Batch Printing AS/400

gcarmody

We are in the process of implementing Oneworld on AS/400 using HTML client.

We come from an old ERP enviroment where overnight batch processing is sent to spool management software which allows users to view and selectively print batch reports.

We are using 'closed' security and want to ensure output is also secured. The restriction appears that we can only allow the users to view output from ids in their own group. We had considered creating a batch id for each group but this id may need more access then the user's group currently allows.

Also the security grouping for access to JDE resources may not match the grouping of the audience for a particular report.

A bit long winded, I'm afraid, but the question is how do others handle restricted access to batch output? We are considering feeding the output through to Create Archive, has anyone else tried this?

Thanks for your help.

Gerard

Sorry if I have missed the point but have you tried using column security on WSJ (P986116)????

HTH

Paul

I would tend to agree with you, you can prevent a user from changing the user-id field in this manner, thus preventing the user from looking at output other than theirs. The problem arises when the batch job is submitted from a different user-id. We are using the RUNUBE with a "generic" user-id to run batch jobs nightly (via ROBOT). Currently the viewing of the output prior to printing has not become an issue. This is one I will have to give some more consideration to if/when it becomes an issue in our shop.

A little bit more of an overhead but if there is a resonable number of 'system' accounts used to process overnight jobs you could use row security instead. Depending on user numbers you could look at automating the creation of the row security, at previous sites we have simple had tamplate security accounts that get copied to new users that are setup.

Paul

Thanks for your help, I am looking at Row security at this moment and it appears promising. I have turned on 'INCLUSIVE' row security. Column security didn't appear to do what I wanted (but I may have misunderstood). By the way is 'badda_bing' anything to do with the movie 'The Fifth Element'? PS: I'm origionally from Blenheim, where are you based?

Not a prob, not from the Fifth element but close, from The Sopranos - the name of one of Tony's business interests!!!!

Column security would be a lot simpler if you just wanted to restrict a user to their own user ID.

Inclusive row security is definitely the way to go.

The thriving metropolis of Blenheim!!!! Originally from Windy Wellington, now in London.

cheers,

Paul

Back