JDE Staff Question

joshlitt

How many JDE support people do you have, and how many users.

We are trying to justify some positions and would like some feedback from everyone out there. If you could just drop a quick line of how many users you have, and how many support people you have. We have roughly 30 Fat, 375 Thin clients and One CNC and one Development/CNC person.

Just trying to figure out what the norm is?

Wow...you only have one Developer....I can see the one CNC person but unless you are running totally vanilla then one developer is not enough. you may want to have a developer that can backup fo the CNC person should they ever need time off :)

Just wondering . . . . . .

How many modules do you utilized?
Do you have a lot of developments, customization and base code modification/enhancement?

A/P, A/R, GL, FA, Budget, Purchasing, Warehouse. Just a moderate amount really, most objects we use are straight out of the box.

My company thinks one developer is enough as long as he's really good !

GTL-JDE,

Does that mean you have been spending extra time at the Holiday Inn-Express... or that your company is hiring???

<big grin>

db

I live and work in Spain: No employer here would ever consider more than one developer for anything unless they were re-writing OneWorld from scratch. (Illustration: go to a Spanish bar. 200 customers. One barmaid. You do the math)

Hi,

we're around 300 thin clients and max 10 fat's
We have 1 CNC/system administrator and 1 than can back me up for a big part and two people that do toolswork but are still in a learning stage so we also have 1 toolsman from pwc...ehm Ibm assisting them once a week here and the rest of the week he's in our german branch do setup and training there.

<biggger grin>

Daniel,
I have assured my company that they have exactly the correct number of developers (1) !

Dave

Hi JoshLitt.

We are a single site with approximately 150 Fat Client users and 1 TSE server (TSE supports a dozen light use and remote users).

Of our IT Staff only 2 are JDE support. One of us is CNC / DBA / Developer and the other is a Developer / DBA / CNC :). We do have an additional 5% of another Admin's time just to train him in some of the CNC tasks such as package builds, etc.

We utilize a full manufacturing suite (Mfg, Distribution, Financials).

Customization of existing JDE Objects is light but we've modified/fixed around 250 objects plus 100 '55' net new objects.

Report writing is primarily accomplished using Crystal Reports.

Our philosophy is to stay current or 1 back with general releases (e.g. B7333) but to avoid installing Updates and ESU's so we don't get into a thrashing mode of continuously reapplying customizations and applying new ESUs to fix bugs created by last ESU. In other words once you reach a stable point stay there!

Hope this helps.

<sheepish grin>
Then, you do sleep in a Holiday Inn Express....

U B D Man!

Daniel

Tim

There are actually projects where the amount of development concerned is extremely large - and I know of several projects in Europe where this is the case.

For smaller (<200 users) implementations - often OneWorld is implemented in a "roughly" vanilla fashion with very little custom application development - but for those customers that implement Distribution (especially Purchasing) and Manufacturing (these customers tend toward the larger size implementations - often more than 200 users and up to 3,000 concurrent users) - there is substantial development that occurs.

I finished recently at one customer who implemented Distribution with links to Siebel and i2 (through IBM MQ series) and who rolled out 1,300 concurrent users. They run 32,000 UBE's a day at peak processing - and usually more than 20,000 UBE's a day.

They re-wrote Purchasing. Completely. Had a development staff of 10 OneWorld developers and 6 legacy developers (transitioning). They had to also write the interfaces to CRM and SCM from scratch. (one of the drawbacks of the JDE recommended "best of breed" solution from way back !) After a very difficult initial period, they have become extremely happy with OneWorld.

I can also point to other customers - some with happy stories, others with sad implementations - but believe me, once you step over a certain limit and you get out of pure Financials (which is ALWAYS implemented vanilla) - then you start seeing larger and larger impact from Development brought on from how Operations perceive the product.

Spain is a relatively new marketplace. When I was the European Launch Manager for JD Edwards SUMAH - we really did not have much exposure at all to JDE (back in 1996 - 1997). Even through to my leaving JDE in January 2000, Spain was somewhat of an unknown territory.

This was always interesting to me, especially since Latin America (Argentina and Brazil especially) and the rest of Europe were such good expansion areas for JDE.

It seems, from watching many of the posts from yourself, that Spain and Portugal are two areas that are actually growing with the OneWorld user base - which I am glad. Gives the yanks over here some food for thought when a country such as Spain has an increase in software sales throughout one of the worst recessions in living memory.

Back