SQL Slammer worm

antipodes1

Has anyone had any feedback on whether JDE support either
1. Application of security patch for SQL
or
2. Upgrade to SQL SP3

to protect against this worm.

SQL Server 2000 SP3 is supported with SP21, which was released about a week ago.

Regarding the hotfix, we applied it and haven't had any reported problems yet.

Are you sure that's SQL Server SP3? Isn't it Windows 2000 SP3 that is supported with SP21?

Stacy

Re: RE: SQL Slammer worm

Hi,

I have a client with Sql Server SP3 with Oneworld SP 18 with no problems.

The GSSTF-02-0485 Tech Flash doc on the KG says that SQL Server 2000 SP3 isn't supported until JDE SP21. I'm sure that SQL SP3 worked with previous JDE SPs, but my boss is big on not doing anything that's fully supported by JDE (I know, how boring).

JDE GSS have told me to Upgrade to SP21 THEN apply SQL SP3
Sorry for all you folks on less than SP21, there isn't a supported fix at the moment. I guess you could just apply the hotfix for the vulnerability rather than SP3

When upgrading to SQL SP3 make sure to run UPDATE STATS WITH FULLSCAN on all your major tables in OneWorld.

My opinion is as follows.

Update to SQL Server SP3 to protect yourselves - then let JDE quibble about what they "support" or not support. After all, protection for your data comes first - whether JDE has "tested" a service pack is down to their own timescales and shouldn't impact an emergency patch like this.

I am running SQL Server SP3 on various systems - both on SP20 and SP21. No issues.

Good idea to run the Update Stats though.

Just an FYI, If you dig deep enough into the M$ KB, you'll find that you can script out the necessary files (from SQL SP3), to protect yourself from the Slammer - without having to apply the whole SP.

I was reading an eWeek article, where companies were complaining about the laborous scripting that it took to pull the necessary files out of the SP and apply them against their database(s)

Additionally, M$ does have a stand-alone patch for the Slammer. You do have to contact their support to locate it...

Daniel

Back