Rebuilding existing full package without compression: problems?

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
I need to rebuild an existing full package. The original package specified compression of all directories, data, helps, and foundation. I've decided to rebuild it without compression. I have two reasons for this:

1) To save our very scant disk space.
2) To take advantage of update packages modifying their parent full packages without having to rerun compression on the full package.

We have some workstations which now have old version of the full package installed *with* compression.

Will this cause problems for my existing clients? Will this cause problems?

Thanks-- by the way, this group is *extremely* helpful.

Tim

I always compress my full package. I also re-compress the full package after every update package. It is the *.cab files that are extracted when you do a new install of OneWorld.

Patty

Hi Tim,

Yes you are right it is less a pain to not compress your full package but you deployment time will increase. When you run setup, it will send the cab files to the client and the cab files are decompressed. If you don't compress your full then, it will send the full package over the network.
The spec cab is about 200 k in size and the directory is about 1.5 gigs in size. That is a lot more network traffic.

I did that test. I did not compress a full package and deployed it to 5 clients. It was taking 30-45 minutes more per client to install the client package. It also killed the network. Users were complaining that he network was slow.

That is my 2 cents.

FYI we use uncompressed packages and our typical uninstall/re-install time for a full package (no dev objects) is 10 - 12 minutes. This stretches to 15-20 minutes when we have 20-30 installs going on simultaneously.

These are PCs whose clock speed ranges from 400Mhz to 1Ghz - but all PCs have a 100MBPS connection to a a gigabit backbone. The Deployment Server is old now with dual Xeon 450 processors.

I believe the main bottleneck as Adrian states is the network. If you have a fast network then uncompressed is far easier to manage. If not - use compression.

Cheers,

Back