Domestic Language

andy_smith

Well Known Member
Hi List,

I have a question on domestic language - in my installation, my domestic
language is English and I have French language overrides installed.
Therefore, in tables such as F0005 I have English records, and in F0005D I
have the French override records.

In an installation in France, what would the picture be, if the domestic
language is French, does the main F0005 table contain the French records or
does it still have these in a 'D' table.

Similar question for any other country - what is in your main tabes and what
is in the 'D' override tables ?

Regards

Andy Smith
Technical Consultant

WHITEHOUSE
Consultants

http://www.whitehouse-consult.co.uk

Office : 01159 825987
Mobile: 07949 603770

E-Mail: [email protected]

Andy Smith
Whitehouse Consultants
Win2K SQLServer7 Xe

Andy,

I am sure the original designer had this in mind -- Domestic Language = The language of the host country. However, it has not worked out this way. The Domestic language equals English.

When you install OneWorld the F0004/F0005 and Vocabulary Overrides are all the English versions. They are not flagged with an E language code but are blank. When loading language packs the UDC's and vocab overrides for the non-English languages are merged into the vocab overrides and placed in F0004D/F0005D.

Remember that when building packages you should be selecting both Domestic Language and all non-English languages installed on your system.

Regards,

Thanks for your response Justin, it that is how I expected it to be - can
anyone confirm for certain though that this is how say a French installation
is - and do all of the users in a French installation have a language
preference of 'F' ?

Andy Smith
Technical Consultant

WHITEHOUSE
Consultants

http://www.whitehouse-consult.co.uk

Office : 01159 825987
Mobile: 07949 603770

E-Mail: [email protected]

Andy Smith
Whitehouse Consultants
Win2K SQLServer7 Xe

Re: RE: Domestic Language

Hi Andy,

I can confirm that this is how a French installation is configured. I have installs in Swedish, French, Norwegian, Japanese, Arabic, German, Spanish, Dutch and Italian and they have all reflected the configuration we discussed.

Really this is a function of the way the language packs are applied. Unless you do some cowboy modifications of some sort, the F0004D/F0005D and vocab overrides will always receive the non-English data as a set of records with a specific Language Group on them. e.g. F, NO, S, AR, J etc.

Regarding the user profiles, this is really controlled by how the user is setup up. I have had Dutch users, for instance, that preferred to work with an English profile because they had learn the accounting terms in English and were more used to those than their native terminology. In Japan it is quite the opposite. Sometimes we have set up multiple user profiles for a single person so that they could switch between languages easily. For instance a project team member who needed to setup menus in both languages.

Is there a issue you are having that prompted this question?

Cheers,

Re: RE: Domestic Language

Dear Justin,
Is there a document on doing "Cowboy Modifications" (by the way, in the Spanish version of OneWorld, this would be "Modificaciones estilo vaquero".)?

Just kidding.

Andy,

Warning - Rant alert!!!

Here's more twists to consider. Domestic does not equal English. Here's an example that my Boss ran into: In the language list select Spanish and English. Do not select domestic. You will get a different font set for your English speaking users. Go figure.

Another weird thing, try selecting Domestic, then scrolling down to the bottom of the list to select Spanish. It can't be done. You have to go to the bottom first, select Spanish, then go back up to the top to select English.

One more gripe, you can not double click to select the language (like elsewhere in JDE). Since I know that there are dedicated JDE employees monitoring this list, maybe you could mention to the team that manages the build process that that portion of their app is kludgie.

Praxair CNC Guy

Back