DEMO Jr. vs. Pristine

libbi_fletcher

Well Known Member
A consultant will be doing an Inventory Management workshop on site for us
next week. In our training room, we were going to install Demo on the
machines. But if we are testing any development in that room, I keep
uninstalling Demo and putting on Dev because a)the machines are too small
for both and b) I don't think you can have both or can you?
Is there a disadvantage to using a local install of pristine vs. demo?

XE U3 17.1 AS400 NT W2K

Libbi Fletcher
Systems Administrator
HoMedics, Inc.
3000 Pontiac Trail
Commerce Township, MI 48390
248-863-3001 ext. 1281

I have tried to install both the DEMO and a real environment on one machine. It doens't work: When you try to install the environment, as screen pops up telling you that JDE wants to deinstall the demo first.

you cannot have Demo jr and any other environment installed on one machine at the same time. But you can save a lot of time for installation and deinstallation by using the Snapshot program.
You install your demo, use the snapshot.exe located in the system\bin32 directory and it copies your installation including all registry setting to a safe place. Then you install your "real" environment. To change back to Demo jr. you make another snapshot to a different place and restore the demo-snapshot. This is done within seceonds and works fine. And then you can switch between the programs nearly without losing time.

You can also copy the snapshot.exe to a different location outside JDE directory structure, otherwise it will not be accessible if you have made your snapshot...

I hope this will help you...

One point, for it to work you MUST move snapshot.exe to a directory not under your \B7 direcory and run it from there.

We have routinely installed both Standalone and client environment on one machine using two simple batch files that re-name the jde.ini file and the b7 folder, e.g., to jdeserver.ini and b7server. Then the "desired" are also re-named, e.g. from jdelocal.ini to jde.ini and from b7local to b7. The final line in the batch file invokes oexplore.exe. This way, either can be invoked with a menu selection or desktop icon, by invoking the appropriate batch file.

One consideration for training: Standalone offers the advantage that each student has a separate database, so all students can be doing the exact same transactions at the same time, which normally wouldn't be the case with a "live" environment.

Change the "can" to "must" on moving SnapShot to a different directory...

Once you get Snapshot working, for saving disk space you may want to install a partial DEV package to the PC. The Partial only takes up 300M vs. 1.5 G.