Vertex on the Server

wloban

Well Known Member
I am attempting to get Quantum for Payroll Tax to run on the Enterprise Server. Currently Vertex is installed locally and numerous machines have to be updated monthly. I have mentioned to my boss that it would be pratical to run it on the server as there is only one place for updates. When I run pre-payroll the connection from OneWorld to Vertex is not made. I get the following error in the log: B0000182:IB0000182_InitializeQuantumSalesTax: Load library of Vst failed.
I have changed the OCM mappings for the BSFNs and UBEs to run on the server.

JDE support recommended I apply SPX_VTX2 . I did so but am still getting the same error.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to function.

Thanks,
Bill

This actually a bogus error message, unless of course you are you using
vertex for sales tax. This does not affect pre-payroll however. Ensure from
the G731 menu you set the proper datasource and database connect string.
You may to try some of the connection utilities via the /utils folder on the
server. What platform and database are you using? There are some quirks with
building packages and changing link flags for compiling vertex bsfns.

Re: RE: Vertex on the Server

We are on NT4 and using the ISAM database for Vertex. I have verified the proper datasource is specified in the G731 menu.

I have verified the Vertex database connection with the utilities that Vertex supplies.

RE: RE: Vertex on the Server

did you recompile your server side bsfns with the proper link flags in the
sever JDE.INI?

Re: RE: RE: Vertex on the Server

I recompiled the Vertex bsfn's and built and deployed a server package.
I haven't checked the link flags.

Bill

Hi Bill,
I received these errors in the past. It tells you that it could not connect to Vertex datasource. If your DB and Datas folders are under c:\vertex\db and c:\vertex\data , make sure that your datasource in G731 is c:\vertex\db and that you set up your environment variable correctly on your enterprise server. Do not take any chance and add C:\vertex\db;c:\vertex\data;c:\vertex\utils at the BEGINING of your Path variable of system. It happened to me to receive your very same message error when I added them at the END of my PATH variable. So I removed it and put it at the beginning and it started to work. Silly isn't it?
Good luck

We are trying to run vertex for payroll locally and are getting a "Quantum Payroll Library Load Failed" error. Any ideas what may be causing this? We have tried your suggestions with the System Variable Path, but still getting this error.

BTW, we are testing in ERP8.

Thanks in advance.

Bill and Ken,

Both of you are experiencing difficulties with a local install of vertex, let me share some of my experience.

Bill, my understanding is that the vertex utils are loaded local and the vertex database is loaded local (ISAM). You don't want to keep updating the database on numerous machines, correct? I would recommend switching from ISAM to SQL for your database. That way you only have one spot to update when the new data from vertex comes out.

Ken,

You are trying to run vertex local. Follow the above recomendation for the database. Ken and Bill, load the vertex utilities EVERYWHERE. Have the utils installed and working on your enterprise server, batch server, terminal servers, and fat clients. Set the ODBCs to look to the SQL database. Make sure you add the path of the vertex utilities to the path statement everywhere the utilities are loaded (the install program for the utility misses that).

I tried mapping the BSFNs to run against the enterprise server. They never worked well there. I changed the mappings to execute the vertex BSFNs to run local, works like a champ. It took us about six weeks of expirimentation and numerous phone calls with JDE to come up with this configuration, but it has been working well for 13 months now. If you need more help, open a call with JDE, ask for Scotty Giddings in the platform support group. Scotty and I worked well on this issue and she is up to speed on using vertex with JDE.

Gregg Larkin
North American CNC, Praxair
XE, SP19.1, Win 2k clustered, SQL 2k, Vertex on SQL

Gregg -

My previous employer used the Quantum Sales and Use Tax application which was a SQL database. I was surprised that Quantum doesn't offer a SQL version for the Payroll Tax on the CD. Do they have a SQL version that I am not aware of?

Thanks,
Bill

We are only using the Sales and Use tax side of Vertex, I don't know if they offer a SQL version for the payroll side. I suggest contacting Quantum on that question.

Hi Ken
If you follow document OHR-01-0022 from KG, you should be OK. If you need more info, please email to me.

Good luck

I found the problem to be a corrupted Vertex install on the server. After re-installing Vertex I am able to process pre-payroll and connect to Vertex on the server successfully.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Bill

After mapping the vertex business functions locally we were able to run payroll locally. We also reinstalled vertex on the AS400 and that seemed to solve our server issues as well.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back