Backup option in Software update

vivek_kaushal

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
Have you used the backup option in the software option. What is your experince with this option. I heard that this option is not recommended for ASU as it cause ASU to hang for ever.
What about the ESUs that have objects less that 100?

Thanks

Yes, I have used the Backup option for ESUs. It's especially useful if the Merge did not go well, and a developer lost something.

The number of objects, the speed of the overall network, and the database performance are the limiting factors.

I have seen an ESU with 200+ objects take 3 hours to backup to the Access database. Certainly, an ASU or Xe Update CD with thousands of objects should not be backed up this way. For this, clients will usually set up a path code just for applying ESUs, Updates, etc. to test them out without affecting normal development and testing (DV and PY).

Hi Kenneth

Thanks for the reply. Have you rolled back any ESU(around 200 objects) with the backup taken using this option? If yes then what is your experince in terms of recoverability, ease of use etc.

Thanks

Hello,

The best way backup your objects is to take exports of the affected areas. JDE says not to use the backup option because it is unreliable. Even with small ESUs.

Hope this helps.

I would agree with Dan with one addition -- make sure to take a backup of the path code directory on the deployment server as well. ESU's can update business functions and related objects.

Back