GLBLTBL and DD specs truncating on first login

camo

We are deploying the full GLBLTBL and DD files (6 of them) with our full client packages, however, the files are not staying at their full size.

After installation on a freshly built Win2K, the very first login will cause the files to truncate back to a few hundred KB.
Therefore JITI still happens.

Manually copying the full size files back in after the initial login will work OK, but we would like to deploy this across the board.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cam,

This is a bit strange. How are you deploying the 6 files with your full packages?

My technique is to wait until the Full Package build has started and then place the files in the Package spec directory itself so that they get included in the CAB files that are built at then end of the package build process. This works because the package build creates empty versions of these files at the very beginning of the build and then does not touch them again until compressing them many hours laters. By getting them into the CAB files they are then delivered anytime a fresh install is done.

If you are not explicitly doing something like this then you are not actually deploying a full copy of the files. The default package build process actually delivers them empty.

If you are truly delivering a full copy of the files, I cannot think of a process that would be zapping these files upon first login unless this type of thing was programmed into your windows network login script. I have done things like this in the past during heavy development to assure that data dictionary and global tables were always freshly JITI'd for the project team.

Regards,

Hi Cam,

did you recompress your package? During an installation, the compresses files are transfered to your workstation and then decompressed. In your SPEC.CAB file are also DDDICT and GLBTBL files, and these are the files you get on your workstation.
Regards

Herbert

It's been a long time, but, I thought I saw this problem when DD Replication was turned on on a terminal server. You might look to see if this is the case.

I've never seen this before. Did you verify after the install that the 6 files are the expected size on the workstation?

Thanks for your responses,
I do the same as JEMILLER for packaging up the specs
The full process is as below...

- Generate GLBLTBL and DD spec files (6 of them) using R98CRTGL and R92TAM
- Build package on deployment server
- After package build has started I copy the 6 files into the package spec directory.
- After the package builds successfully (with compressed spec.cab) I deploy the package to a freshly built Win2K client.
- Once installed I check that the 6 files have come down successfully and are the correct size - Yep
- Login the first time and JITI happens
- Check the size of the 6 files and they are back to a few hundred KB.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

NOTE:
- We don't have DD replication set for any client machines.
- The problem only occurs on the first login after a package deployment.

Cam just a thought, did you check your package.inf file to see if it is set to delete global tables? the line looks something like DelGlbltbl=Y
try changing this value to no.

Remove your Citrix servers as subscribers from the DDDICT data replication
publication.

Brent Marxhausen
DBT, Inc.
Independent CNC Consultant
email: [email protected]

I normally set up each of the Terminal Servers to copy a set of DD and GL builds nightly from a known location.

That way I never get any issues with them.

Paul

Back